Server latency issues lately

Player avatar

Beatdown sr Send PM

subscriber

Something is happening several times per day, where the latency will randomly start spiking, and then right afterwards there will be hours of what feels like practically 0 delay, and where everything just runs smooth as fuck, and then right back to slingshotting, massive backwalks and in general a heavy feel.

It doesn't seem to have any relation to the number of online players, as when it was peaking at 200 the other day, it was one of the most lag-free periods of that day,

And then there can be 100 characters connected and the server will randomly start slingshotting every 4th or 5th click to move, etc. And everything in general will just start to feel heavy and dragging.
It probably won't be too noticed by non-pkers, as it is something that has to be provoked by doing many actions very quickly, like catching, to occur.

I've suspected some of the live plugins to have something to do with it, but i have no idea tbh..

And i am not talking about the base latency from EU to Canada etc, this is something else, something that happens periodically throughout the day, and has 0 relation to number of clients running, background programmes, my personal internet connection or hardware, etc.

And just to get the dummies out of the way who will inevitably tell me to stop playing on a toaster as they always do:

i5 4670k
8GB DDR3 1600mhz CL9
GTX970
240 GB SSD
5208089603.png

Here's a short demo, where you can't exactly blame me for even provoking it too much, as i am clicking very slowly just to demonstrate how it randomly happens every few clicks and fucks you up completely during a path-change during catching

Notice how some clicks are ok, then randomly a click will barely react, where you continue on your previous path for a few more squares (which puts you out of the catching range of 2 squares incase anyone didn't know that) despite the fact you already made the adjustment correctly, it just didn't register quickly enough, so now you are 3 or 4 squares behind and the guy is out of catching range, without you actually making a mistake. It's gets annoying really quick, especially when you know the server is perfectly capable of running lag-free at other times, and there seems to be no known reason for it

Ps. This thing will also happen on clicks to eat and stuff, resulting in random undereats and deaths, because a click was too slow to process etc, it's not just walking it affects everything

Last edited by Beatdown sr (29 Mar 2016 20:53)

Player avatar

Beatdown jr Send PM

subscriber

I mean.. Really?

Player avatar

Luigi bank Send PM

subscriber

Happens on droid sometimes too. Will also act like u didn't even click as if u attacked to early but i waited 5 sq before trying to attack

#ambestdroid

Player avatar

Fate Send PM

beta

Wait on what timestamp does it miss a click? It looked very smooth for you and instant response on your videos.

Done in one take, because in life there are no repeats.

Player avatar

Luigi bank Send PM

subscriber

On the second vid.. It continues 1 or 2 sqs before redirecting as it should like on most of vid 1

#ambestdroid

Player avatar

Fate Send PM

beta

That is very normal with tick based games (even real rscrevolution classic does this) especially during clicking all directions around and around.

The game tick is not always 600MS. It can vary by how many players are online etc.

It can on the other hand be perfected.

Player avatar

Beatdown jr Send PM

subscriber

Fate said:

Wait on what timestamp does it miss a click? It looked very smooth for you and instant response on your videos.

o.O

Can't you see it continues walking in the same direction even after i've clicked the opposite way? Sometimes 1sq extra, sometimes 2 and occasionally it even continues 3 more squares before it responds

it basically means catching is out of my hands entirely when this happens, as it would be for anyone, and that's no fun

And it's not supposed to be doing this, and a lot of the time it won't do it, a lot of the time it will just react pretty much as soon as i click some place to move, so that's how i know it isn't normal

The game basically feels as if i'm torrenting despite everything being totally clean

Fate said:

That is very normal with tick based games (even real rscrevolution classic does this) especially during clicking all directions around and around.

The game tick is not always 600MS. It can vary by how many players are online etc.

But then how come i can shoot a video of it probably within the next few hours, where i can move around like this non-stop and it continues to respond instantly? As in, where it won't keep walking squares after i've clicked another path

It will randomly start lagging a lot when there's like 80 characters online, and then respond instantly and perfectly smooth when there's 200 online, it doesn't make any sense, since literally nothing changes on my end

Last edited by Beatdown jr (30 Mar 2016 06:55)

Player avatar

Fate Send PM

beta

Beatdown jr said:

Fate said:

o.O

Can't you see it continues walking in the same direction even after i've clicked the opposite way? Sometimes 1sq extra, sometimes 2 and occasionally it even continues 3 more squares before it responds

it basically means catching is out of my hands entirely when this happens, as it would be for anyone, and that's no fun

And it's not supposed to be doing this, and a lot of the time it won't do it, a lot of the time it will just react pretty much as soon as i click some place to move, so that's how i know it isn't normal

The game basically feels as if i'm torrenting despite everything being totally clean

Fate said:

But then how come i can shoot a video of it probably within the next few hours, where i can move around like this non-stop and it continues to respond instantly? As in, where it won't keep walking squares after i've clicked another path

It will randomly start lagging a lot when there's like 80 characters online, and then respond instantly and perfectly smooth when there's 200 online, it doesn't make any sense, since literally nothing changes on my end

Yes I know, I made tests before when it was horrible and made a few updates to our tick system. It seems that a tick rate of 640-650 is more instant than 600. And game tick should always be 600 in rscrevolution. Though when you have more players online the tick rate raises probably as to why it was smooth with 200 online and tick rate was processing at 640-660MS. If it processes at a rate of 700 though you will start to stutter (walking 1 tile stop, walking 1 tile stop so on so on).

I'll go over the the processing again later today and see what I can do.

EDIT: I went on real rscrevolution classic just now and calculated their game ticks. Here's the result, their cycle.

119 Online.
aodG4rJ.png

Player avatar

Beatdown jr Send PM

subscriber

Fate said:

Beatdown jr said:

Fate said:

o.O

Fate said:

Yes I know, I made tests before when it was horrible and made a few updates to our tick system. It seems that a tick rate of 640-650 is more instant than 600. And game tick should always be 600 in rscrevolution. Though when you have more players online the tick rate raises probably as to why it was smooth with 200 online and tick rate was processing at 640-660MS. If it processes at a rate of 700 though you will start to stutter (walking 1 tile stop, walking 1 tile stop so on so on).

I'll go over the the processing again later today and see what I can do.

Nice! Really appreciate it, cause it really means a lot that you get rewarded for doing the right things, and not punished without making mistakes in a game like this, atleast to us competitive types!

People will have heard me exclaim loudly in global several times over the last weeks as soon as it starts running perfectly, cause it honestly feels so good, like a completely different (and way more enjoyable) game when it doesn't have these big delays smile

Player avatar

Beatdown jr Send PM

subscriber

Shot just now, check out the difference from the second vid and then this just now, but now there are barely anyone online, so it shouldn't be because of the tickrate, since it would be lower now then, right?

There are still a couple bad responses where it feels a bit heavy (kind of like cornering a heavy car)
But this looks and feels much closer to what it should be so you can see what i mean. It really is like night and day when playing the game in the two different modes

Last edited by Beatdown jr (30 Mar 2016 07:23)

Player avatar

padwan121 Send PM

subscriber

Been happening to me for the last 4 to 5 days mostly spiking constantly...reset the laptop and box with no prevail..can't pk like this unfortunately.

Time waits for no man..so what is your plan? Live a life of reget? Or a life you wont forget.

Player avatar

Beatdown jr Send PM

subscriber

11:44 Sweden time and server is still running beautifully from last recording

Everything feels really nice and responsive and smooth

Player avatar

Ghasp Send PM

subscriber

Glad to see you trying to sort this out fate thank you guys for being constructive wish theads were more like this all the time, I think a lot more would get done and I for one want to play on the best damn server there is and I think the group of devs we have wants that for us as well

Ribbit. Ribbit. CROAK.

Player avatar

i3lunt t0k3r Send PM

subscriber

Fate said:

Why did we add RSC ticks anyway was better when the server didn't have something limiting the server response all it does is add a delay

Ignore the hate the fake and the funny shit

Player avatar

padwan121 Send PM

subscriber

Yeah...

Time waits for no man..so what is your plan? Live a life of reget? Or a life you wont forget.