[Magic] Missile Strength [Feedback]

Player avatar

Cub Send PM

subscriber

I'm sure you have noticed that spells are hitting a bit harder....well the higher level spells that is.

That is because on this update it seems like the developers have fixed something that was actually broken long ago.

In 2002 the higher level spells were introduced (wave spells)

When they were released they indeed did hit what they're missile strength listed (16 for fire wave)

Fast forward to 2003 when god spells were introduced and some tweaking to magic happened and boom, your spell were nerfed and the dam missile strength didn't make sense no more.

First the real rsc intended for missile strength to equal max hit

Wind Strike [ max hit 1 ]
Water Strike [ max hit 2 ]
Earth Strike [ max hit 3 ]
Fire Strike [ max hit 4 ]

Wind Bolt [ max hit 5 ]
Water Bolt [ max hit 6 ]
Earth Bolt [ max hit 7 ]
Fire Bolt [ max hit 8 ]

Wind Blast [ max hit 9 ]
Water Blast [ max hit 10 ]
Earth Blast [ max hit 11 ]
Fire Blast [ max hit 12 ]

Wind Wave [ max hit 13 ]
Water Wave [ max hit 14 ]
Earth Wave [ max hit 15 ]
Fire Wave [ max hit 16 ]

Now of course when the spells were nerfed the max hit was 10-11. So are you trying to argue out of 16 spells, the max hit is 10? wouldn't that make the spells pointless? RSC intended for the max hit to be 16, its logic. A old update fucked it up and RSCR finally decided to fix it. Congrats to them.

Player avatar

Ghasp Send PM

subscriber

I like this.. perhaps to make those complaining about 2 hits happy look more at armor or def decreasing the max hit instead of nerfing mage hits? If indeed something must change to create ballance.... personally this doesn't effect me much

Last edited by Ghasp (5 Mar 2016 04:10)

Ribbit. Ribbit. CROAK.

Player avatar

fear nothing Send PM

subscriber

Cub said:

I'm sure you have noticed that spells are hitting a bit harder....well the higher level spells that is.

That is because on this update it seems like the developers have fixed something that was actually broken long ago.

In 2002 the higher level spells were introduced (wave spells)

When they were released they indeed did hit what they're missile strength listed (16 for fire wave)

Fast forward to 2003 when god spells were introduced and some tweaking to magic happened and boom, your spell were nerfed and the dam missile strength didn't make sense no more.

First the real rsc intended for missile strength to equal max hit

Wind Strike [ max hit 1 ]
Water Strike [ max hit 2 ]
Earth Strike [ max hit 3 ]
Fire Strike [ max hit 4 ]

Wind Bolt [ max hit 5 ]
Water Bolt [ max hit 6 ]
Earth Bolt [ max hit 7 ]
Fire Bolt [ max hit 8 ]

Wind Blast [ max hit 9 ]
Water Blast [ max hit 10 ]
Earth Blast [ max hit 11 ]
Fire Blast [ max hit 12 ]

Wind Wave [ max hit 13 ]
Water Wave [ max hit 14 ]
Earth Wave [ max hit 15 ]
Fire Wave [ max hit 16 ]

Now of course when the spells were nerfed the max hit was 10-11. So are you trying to argue out of 16 spells, the max hit is 10? wouldn't that make the spells pointless? RSC intended for the max hit to be 16, its logic. A old update fucked it up and RSCR finally decided to fix it. Congrats to them.

Correct let them cry...this is how it was ment to be

[img]http://i.imgur.com/GH0nYE6.jpg[/img]

Player avatar

Beatdown jr Send PM

subscriber

Please keep in mind both the time (availablity and usage of these runes back then, which was severely limited) and more importantly the combat formula as a whole of real rsc 2002-07  vs 2016 and rscr, where everyone are much better at the game, and have characters that are powered up to the point of bursting, which basically nobody of the thousands upon thousands of players had back then.

You could fight 200 guys back then, hardly anyone with more than 80hp, and not 3 hit any of them.

If you're going to do this with magic you also need to revert to the original combat formula and the scaling of melee stats that aren't named Strength.

This server seems largely to have been designed to mirror a Daniel Puder compilation of 3 hits, which does seem fun at first glance, but over time -and for people who take the game more seriously- it frankly discourages gameplay, to the point where the person behind the character is largely irrelevant, since what you roughly do now is right click the player and hit attack and simply pray to the random number generator gods that good fortune is with you, which ofcourse they will be a lot of the time now.

If you think 2 hitting 99hp people (..and may zeus have mercy on anyone who isn't 99hp) equals great gameplay, then fine, that's entirely up to you, but when looking at changes like this, please atleast include a bit of perspective and objectivity on pk'ing as whole.

Last edited by Beatdown jr (5 Mar 2016 04:34)

Player avatar

Cub Send PM

subscriber

My feedback wasn't a suggestion, it was a statement for those who haven't been involved in classic for a while that the original intention of these spells were to hit high.

The combat formula has changed over the course of classic's life line, not frequently but enough to state there was never a "same" combat formula during its life.

While this update gives life to the "original intention" of the spells, if you're hitting 16s every other cast, there may need to be an investigation in the magic combat hitting rscr vs rsc.

But remember, if you're going to make the max hit 10 for fire wave....why on earth are there 16 different combat spells when some of them are going to have the same max hit lol

Last edited by Cub (5 Mar 2016 06:12)

Player avatar

Ghasp Send PM

subscriber

Know its not a suggestion but there is definitely going to be a lot of discussion as there are always those who will be unhappy. Always like to offer some alternates to just changing it back to how it was as i am sure many will demand : )

Ribbit. Ribbit. CROAK.

Player avatar

GLeU Send PM

subscriber

While what your saying is making a lot of sense, This server spells hit a lot harder, and more consistent, then compared to real rsc. and an increase like this is gonna cause a huge change to pking.

Player avatar

zazo x Send PM

subscriber

Please revert it. It's silly.

Player avatar

pepster Send PM

subscriber

It does make sense but I think they had in mind a more even triangle of combat like how rs2 is.  They just never got to that.  If you are gonna have magic hit 16s, you need to make magic bonus mean something, so people wearing full melee gear don't hit just as well as people wearing full mage gear.  With magic hitting this hard you need to look at a lot of things.  I think rscrevolution realized that and just said fuck it, nerfed everything, and moved on rs2, as that was the easy solution.

[img]http://i58.tinypic.com/dy7kea.png[/img]

Player avatar

zazo x Send PM

subscriber

pepster said:

It does make sense but I think they had in mind a more even triangle of combat like how rs2 is.  They just never got to that.  If you are gonna have magic hit 16s, you need to make magic bonus mean something, so people wearing full melee gear don't hit just as well as people wearing full mage gear.  With magic hitting this hard you need to look at a lot of things.  I think rscrevolution realized that and just said fuck it, nerfed everything, and moved on rs2, as that was the easy solution.

Good point

Patching and testing should be done in private, why make us suffer at the moment. If for whatever reason people ACTUALLY WANT this update.... Do the testing elsewhere and make it so hits above 11 for Fire Wave are RARE and your chances are improved by wearing Magic Gear.  Right now honest to god, a level 70 hyrbid could kill anything, casts are constant 10s+ even with Water Wave... Like come on.

Oh and please re-work the combat system while you're at it, or it won't work at all.

Overall, is it really worth fucking around with? Please just leave it alone.

Last edited by zazo x (5 Mar 2016 13:23)