How do we do it? - The Saradomin Female Platebody Preview

Player avatar

NoxX Send PM

Hey guys! I'm here to show you a little glimpse at the Saradomin Female Platebody that we have so far, and maybe a just a tad of inside information that'll be cool to know if you ever want to try designing your own sprites!

First, in the design process, I'll start by taking all of the angles that we need and combine them in a spritesheet, as it makes it so much easier to design and save as a whole, as so:

"Spritesheeted" Sprites - 18 Angles (3 Fighting)
mxcxWyU.png

I'll then start the design process around that armor on many layers, and sometimes working zoomed in on a piece of armor can be a little confusing, so a lot of breaks are pretty necessary. tongue We need a lot of revisions on a piece of armor. The male platebodies that we designed earlier in the month took over thirteen revisions before we got something that actually even worked... in-game. You can see our linework below, what you see may change in the future, especially on the other completed pieces we have already.

The Linework
WbkPl6M.png

Once the design is cool with Fate & n0m (n0m is a bit picky, but I love it and it keeps my head level when designing, so I'm thankful for him greatly when it comes to the feedback he supplies), I'll start the shading of the sprites. All lines are hand drawn and the symbols are also hand drawn and skewed to match perspective. Sometimes it's hard to tell from a distance whether or not a sprite is shaded, especially depending on the tones. We try to keep the tones as close as possible when it comes to shading. If we shade too dark, it'll look out of place. If the shading is too light, then we'll stick out like a sore thumb. Once shading is done, Fate will take it into his client and color it to Rune, Dragon, Black, Mithril, etc. - essentially whatever color he wants the grey to be. All sprites are grey to start, and can be shaded via the client.

The Shading
3SvQLjF.png

Once the shading is complete, we'll slice the image up into independent images that are able to be saved independently as well. We'll name these sprites a number, usually the number that the sprite started as, and we'll just give it a new ID once we import it into rscrevolution. Once we've done that, Fate & n0m will test the sprites liberally before getting back to me with any bugs or feedback. Adding sprites into the game used to take around 30 minutes per piece of armor! Fate got that time down to just under 5 minutes with a new back-end update.

The Slices - All Independent
j9FSyOa.png

Once the slices are done, saved, and sent off - we'll work on the inventory sprite. The inventory sprite is completely different than the in-game sprites. Usually, you'll notice a bit more detail, shading, etc. with inventory sprites. These are the sprites that show up on the ground when someone dies as well. We try to keep these as good looking as possible and sometimes tend to put a tiny bit more detail into the inventory sprites.

The Inventory Sprite - That's how I know I'm done with this piece
cx0bWHN.png

When I save the .PSD and .PNG of this image, I know I can usually move onto the next piece of armor.

Thanks for taking the time to read this, and I hope you enjoy what you see! We're working hard on completing this update so stay tuned!

Graphic Designer // IGN: NoxX, England

Player avatar

LindeRKV Send PM

subscriber

Making another armor after one is done is matter of chaning color and symbol though.

Cool one, nonetheless.

[img]http://i.imgur.com/HyQ3d.png[/img]

Player avatar

NoxX Send PM

LindeRKV said:

Making another armor after one is done is matter of chaning color and symbol though.

Cool one, nonetheless.

Exactly! Easy after that but the inital set up is the hardest part! And I have had armors that aren't just a simple recolor, it all depends.

Player avatar

NoxX Send PM

Evan said:

Thanks for sharing.

Not a problem!

Player avatar

GLeU Send PM

subscriber

Can't wait. I rock female chars because I feel the detail on male chars is dull. So I can't wait for this!

Player avatar

NoxX Send PM

GLeU said:

Can't wait. I rock female chars because I feel the detail on male chars is dull. So I can't wait for this!

Yeah, I have a feeling that females are going to look bomb.

Last edited by NoxX (20 Jan 2016 19:17)

Player avatar

Ckmoon Send PM

subscriber

Cool
Will be paying Thrander many visits

[img]http://i63.tinypic.com/ma9o4w.gif[/img]

Player avatar

puremax123 Send PM

subscriber

Player avatar

Mythical Send PM

subscriber

Thanks for sharing. I appreciate the fact you put so many hours of work into this, and I'm sure the rest of the community does as well.

It brings back those memories of joy when rscrevolution released now content for rscrevolution 15 years ago. You just continue that feeling.

It's highly appreciated! Goodluck with the development.

Last edited by Mythical (21 Jan 2016 09:05)

Player avatar

NoxX Send PM

Mythical said:

Thanks for sharing. I appreciate the fact you put so many hours of work into this, and I'm sure the rest of the community does as well.

It brings back those memories of joy when rscrevolution released now content for rscrevolution 15 years ago. You just continue that feeling.

Thanks for the kind words, we'll try our best to do you proud! Gauging player interest in a game that is nostalgic when releasing new content is pretty hard, so all feedback reassures us we're taking a step in the right direction.

Thanks!
-NoxX

Player avatar

GLeU Send PM

subscriber

NoxX said:

Mythical said:

Thanks for the kind words, we'll try our best to do you proud! Gauging player interest in a game that is nostalgic when releasing new content is pretty hard, so all feedback reassures us we're taking a step in the right direction.

Thanks!
-NoxX

Personally I think the nostalgic phase needs to end and it's time to expand this game. Going on 10 years of private servers, all we've seen is a continuous decline in numbers. This I think is 1 of many steps needed to bring rsc back.

Player avatar

NoxX Send PM

GLeU said:

NoxX said:

Mythical said:

Thanks!
-NoxX

Personally I think the nostalgic phase needs to end and it's time to expand this game. Going on 10 years of private servers, all we've seen is a continuous decline in numbers. This I think is 1 of many steps needed to bring rsc back.

I agree! Nostaglia only goes so far, but we do not ultimately want to give new players a sense of growth in the game so large that they wont know where to begin. All updates will be expansive, yet support the old game play mechanics and feel. Through all of the updates we want players saying "Fuck yeah!" instead of "What is going on?"

For example, if the developer team were to introduce more dragon pieces, it would likely be a piece every few months that accomodate a larger update as to not confuse or stagger the growth of new players.

Last edited by NoxX (21 Jan 2016 17:40)

Player avatar

ephrin Send PM

subscriber

Excellent to see development transparency! Always wicked...

Thanks for sharin' bud!

[img]http://s15.postimg.org/v72kufao7/ephrin_signature.png[/img]

Player avatar

Chroz Send PM

subscriber

interesting Noxx! keep up the hard work, im sure there's a cool official position in you & the other guy's future soon smile

Leader of the "All players level 90+ should bring a Silverlight to Black Demons for day in Edgeville Dungeon rather than fucking 3 item for weeks training in the wilderness" Movement

Player avatar

NoxX Send PM

Chroz said:

interesting Noxx! keep up the hard work, im sure there's a cool official position in you & the other guy's future soon smile

I hope so! smile