Community Test Server

Player avatar

punKrockeR Send PM

subscriber

Hey guys, I love this server and I don't mean any disrespect by this post. But I strongly feel like this update wasn't ready for release. I know you've gotta keep excitement up and keep the players interested and it's been a while since we had an update with double xp (which people LOVE), but this whole thing is a temporary (and unnecessary) step backwards in my opinion.

I know all these issues are being ironed out (very fast, which I appreciate and commend you guys for). But my point is that all these bugs shouldn't have needed ironing out on the live server. That's what a community test server is for. It helped Battlefield 4 fix all their issues without pissing off the entire community with broken updates (which completely divided their own player-base), and it's a development model that could work fine on here too (and cost nothing - the test server can run on the same dedi as the live server).

All you need to do is host a second server (not 24/7), one that is only accessible to Platinum Subscribers (or hand-picked regular players / volunteers), and one that is only online in the days or weeks prior to big update roll-outs like today's. A server where items aren't saved and stats aren't saved, where nothing is related to the live server, and perhaps where you can set your own stats and spawn your own items in order to test features for bugs, imbalances or exploits.

I'm sure you guys probably have a staff-only equivalent of this, but a test server where players can login is unparalleled when it comes to bug testing new updates. I mean just think about some of the guys on here and how diligent they are with bug-finding and how dedicated they are to helping improve this server. A handful of staff cannot possibly hope to catch every bug in a huge update like this, and it shouldn't be up to the entire live community to find and report all these issues to the bugtracker (especially not during double xp!). That's not fun, and we play RSCR for fun.

Anyway that's just my worthless opinion and it's just an idea, take it or leave it. With all that being said, good luck with the patches, and thanks so much for the sacrifices you guys make for this community. Don't think that because this sketchy update slightly annoyed me that I don't appreciate everything you guys do right. I know all this will be fixed soon, and I know that without you bunch of legends, we wouldn't even have an awesome RSC server to complain about.

So don't get me wrong, this is just some genuine constructive criticism - I'm not hating. But in the meantime... I can't even play with the huge lag (500+ms), frequent crashes / freezes and broken pking sad so see you guys on Monday, I'm going away for the weekend.

Peace & love,
Matt.

"I am an Anarchist! Wherefore I will
Not rule, & also ruled I will not be!"

— John Henry Mackay

Player avatar

jessefk93 Send PM

subscriber

Very well said, and I can agree, a community based test server would probably have benefited today's update 100%. Without a doubt.

Player avatar

Ghasp Send PM

subscriber

Ehhhh I will take the test subject and bonus xp approach, its not like its going to kill anyone if there are issues for a couple days and more players feeling things out is more chances of running across issues. Some people just need to calm down and trust that things will get fixed. The devs have made a pretty good product so far and I only see it getting better

Ribbit. Ribbit. CROAK.