Assistance for the visually impaired

Player avatar

cafedunier Send PM

subscriber

Hi there, I'm wondering where we're at in terms of changing the sleeping captcha for the visually impaired? It is very hard to read. Get it wrong all the time.

Player avatar

GLeU Send PM

subscriber

It's not just the visually impaired who can't read it. This update has done nothing to stop bots and just pisses players off. Revert back please.

Player avatar

OxiClean Send PM

subscriber

Hi Cafedunier,

For what it's worth, feel free to take a screenshot and pm it to me here if I'm in-game, and I'll tell you what I think the captcha is.

PS This might sound naive but is fatigue still necessary to help detect bots?

=========
Billy Mays' Quest Reviews[img]http://i.imgur.com/VD3epZ6.png[/img]

Player avatar

GLeU Send PM

subscriber

Oxy said:

Hi Cafedunier,

For what it's worth, feel free to take a screenshot and pm it to me here if I'm in-game, and I'll tell you what I think the captcha is.

no its a dumb system. it didnt stop bots on RSC, and it doesnt stop them here. Why it has never been removed from private servers is beyond me. it was a last ditch effort by rscrevolution to combat them before the release of rs2, that has plagued RSC ever since.

the only useful part of fatigue on private servers was being able to ::fatigue playername and see if he instantly rests. but scripts detect when your fatigue magically jumps to 100 and shuts off. sure the odd script by a rookie doesnt, but the vast majority do now.

servers tend to keep it around due to nostalgic reasoning, but all seem to forget that aside from RS2 being released, this was the most hated update they ever did. maybe god spells, was more hated, but i dont think so.

Player avatar

cafedunier Send PM

subscriber

Oxy said:

Hi Cafedunier,

Thank you for the offer, but it would take a lot of effort to screenie it and send, then wait for response. I'd rather try 5 times till I get it right.. or hopefully they can change it to clear words for us....

Player avatar

puremax123 Send PM

subscriber

The bot client injects itself into the game client, so it knows what the captcha answer is. Even if the question is 2+2 and the answer is 4, the bot will get the right answer because it knows what the client wants. My theory xd

Player avatar

Skoomace Send PM

I thought I was the only one who has problems entering captchas lol I do have problem with my eyes tho. Would be awesome if someone reworked it.

Player avatar

cafedunier Send PM

subscriber

Can a mod or admin please comment on this thread to let us know what your plans are?

Player avatar

LindeRKV Send PM

subscriber

I get it wrong 1/5 times. I mean, even if you want to keep it as preventing measure of botting, make it readable. It is not like damn bots are looking at the screen and trying to figure out what is typed in this god-awful clusterf***.

[img]http://i.imgur.com/HyQ3d.png[/img]

Player avatar

n0m Send PM

Administratorsubscriber

puremax123 said:

The bot client injects itself into the game client, so it knows what the captcha answer is. Even if the question is 2+2 and the answer is 4, the bot will get the right answer because it knows what the client wants. My theory xd

The client doesn't have the answer for the captcha. It receives the captcha as an image and the bots use OCR to figure it out. The captcha isn't doing a good job so I might figure out something else for it.

Player avatar

Thoth33 Send PM

subscriber

Maybe something like a "Which of these is not like the others?" thing with 3 fish and a sword for the possible answers?

Player avatar

Skoomace Send PM

Thoth33 said:

Maybe something like a "Which of these is not like the others?" thing with 3 fish and a sword for the possible answers?

Actually a good idea, similar to the "school random event" from RS2, should be better than current system...

Player avatar

GLeU Send PM

subscriber

Just delete it all together so we can get rid of sleeping bags that have plagued our inventory since 2004.