Android Experimental Update

Player avatar

n0m Send PM

Administratorsubscriber

http://www.rscrevolution.com/runequest.apk for download.

Top-left corner question menus made bigger
Fixed scrolling.
Rewrote touch controls:
-Right clicking happens works more like it would work at PC, Hold and press to open rightclick menu, keep holding down and select option, then release finger to select. As of now there's no way to cancel the click other than selecting Cancel option from the right-click menu.
-Single-tapping should be more responsive.

EDIT2:
aa1137730d2f910eea16f9e5fbd5bc62.png
Updated again, use same link to download.

Fixed bank clicking issues.

Player avatar

bigcrazyguy Send PM

subscriber

-1 terrible update. please reverse all changes. cannot evem access bank with this update or pk. boo

Player avatar

Evan Send PM

subscriber

Top-left corner question menus made bigger

I like how the text is in the style of the original text. What still isn't big enough is the scroll up and down buttons on all the menus. Out of all the buttons, they appear to me to have the smallest hitbox.

Fixed scrolling.

Now one press corresponds to moving the menu 1 space, which means scrolling through to level 80 magic spells would take forever. What would be useful is if one button corresponded to a full page's worth of scrolling. What I mean is that each press should bring up all new options.

Rewrote touch controls:
-Right clicking happens works more like it would work at PC, Hold and press to open rightclick menu, keep holding down and select option, then release finger to select. As of now there's no way to cancel the click other than selecting Cancel option from the right-click menu.

First off, I like the concept of holding down and releasing to select your option. I think you should keep it like this--BUT, 2 things are currently making it unusable
1. The amount of time you have to wait for the right click is way too long. It was good before, but if anything, the time should be reduced, not increased. I never accidentally right clicked when attempting to left click, which is the only reason for not making it as fast as possible. The faster it is while still being distinct from left clicks it necessary for increased functionality on the android client.
2. Currently, if you drag your finger outside of the menu hitbox, a single click is registered wherever your finger is released. However, intuitively this should cancel the right click menu. Being able to do this would be a huge advantage over the previous clicking system, which didn't offer a consistent way to cancel right clicks.

-Single-tapping should be more responsive.

I can feel the difference. It's nice.

If you plan on increasing the functionality of android further, here are my past opinions about things that could make it better. Most important (to me at least) would be shifting the messages information up when the keyboard is active, and increasing the size of the scroll buttons.

Evan said:

As a 100% android user, here are some things that would make life easier:

• Make the scroll buttons (magic, prayers, quests, and chat) twice as big. I always misclick the edge of the scrolling bar which causes me to jump all the way up or all the way down in the list. Scrolling through chat is currently unfeasible, which demotivates android users from engaging socially in the game.
  • Change the scroll buttons so that one press corresponds to a full page's worth of scrolling
  • Change the scroll bar so that it is draggable with your finger
  • When the keyboard is activated, the message dialogue should be shifted above the keyboard so that you're still being notified of things. This is useful if someone is trying to trade you, or someone just said in chat what you were planning on typing out, or if someone with a complicated username pm'd you and you're trying to add them to your friends list
  • Typing "::1" takes a few seconds on android. Is there any easier way we could change our input to global (like typing "global" for example?)
  • Several viewing options to choose from would be useful as others have mentioned, as the camera seems very zoomed in. This could be fixed by adding a scroll bar in the settings menu which changes how zoomed in you are, or more easily by having 3 set views that can be toggled by pressing a specific button combination. For example, pressing the power button and the up-volume button at the same time.
  • A few months ago the right-click text was increased, which was nice. But the text is shifted up from the translucent background it is supposed to lie on which causes the "Choose Option" to be partially outside of the box. Sometimes the text is also very acutely overlapping. Minor, but it looks unprofessional.

I'll add more if I think of anything.

EDITS:

• Recently the chat has been moving pretty fast with local + global chat. It would be nice to have maybe 6 viewable lines instead of 4.

Last edited by Evan (14 Dec 2015 08:17)

Player avatar

n0m Send PM

Administratorsubscriber

I have now fixed the issues with right click menu and added a option to adjust your hold time delay.

I was planning to change the position of the chat input field so you would see it with keyboard open, any suggestions where it could be moved?

Player avatar

Evan Send PM

subscriber

Cancelling the right click now works flawlessly,  great fix. Also,  adding variable time delays on the right click is awesome. I would like to see options as low as 25-50ms though, because even at 100ms it's hard to select moving targets, especially when your character is also moving. This + new right click system + spell cast button would make pking way more possible.

Player avatar

n0m Send PM

Administratorsubscriber

You can use Mouse-button One setting for that then. 50ms is next to no delay.

Player avatar

fear nothing Send PM

subscriber

n0m said:

I have now fixed the issues with right click menu and added a option to adjust your hold time delay.

I was planning to change the position of the chat input field so you would see it with keyboard open, any suggestions where it could be moved?

why not take the chat box off the screen and create a chat window? for pc users i am saying for andriod maybe make keyboard slighty ghost looking? or see-threw

[img]http://i.imgur.com/GH0nYE6.jpg[/img]

Player avatar

n0m Send PM

Administratorsubscriber

fear nothing said:

n0m said:

why not take the chat box off the screen and create a chat window? for pc users i am saying for andriod maybe make keyboard slighty ghost looking? or see-threw

Keyboard is part of the android system and not the application itself.

Player avatar

Evan Send PM

subscriber

I don't know if this practical to implement but I think ideally the message dialogue would stay where it is and would shift up when keyboard is active.

Another option could be moving messages to top and inventory, spells, etc to the bottom.

Does anyone know a transparent keyboard that works with RSCR? Maybe this is the best solution.

Player avatar

Evan Send PM

subscriber

n0m said:

You can use Mouse-button One setting for that then. 50ms is next to no delay.

Exactly,  it is supposed to be next to no delay. Suppose you're pking. You've got your inventory up because you just ate food to heal (impractical with one button setting), but the guy you wanna attack is underneath the inventory window. The only way to get rid of the window is a right click cancel, so you very quickly tap, drag, and release. If I do this as fast as I would when I'm skulled with 500k of gear on me, the right click registers where I dragged to and not where i dragged from, which means when I release my thumb I risk selecting a right click option or failing to cancel the menu. No one except my grandpa would want a 900ms wait time anyways, so my opinions persist about reducing to 50-500ms. No one single clicks with a 50ms click and if they do they don't have to choose that option. Faster = increased functionality, slower = decreased functionality.

Player avatar

JayJay3 Send PM

subscriber

n0m can you please fix it so I can minimize the client without it having to reload every time. That's my only complaint. Other than that I'm digging it.