[UPDATED THREAD] Dead Man mode update

Player avatar

Kleio Send PM

modDMM2_Participant

Thank you to everyone who gave me feedback about deadman mode in the previous thread, I did some work on DMM  this week and here is a list of updates that will more than likely implemented to DMM, but there are still some questionable ones that are work in progress and I'd love to hear community feedback and ideas.

Ideas that will be implemented to Deadmen:

• Access only to f2p map, items and skills;
  • Can't enter Wilderness;
  • Characters will have a combat level cap of 80. This will make the combat level variety not that large, so you're way more likely to find someone to fight as well as training is not that tedious after death and in general won't force players to make a run for flats. How this would work: you can make any build that you like, but as soon as you reach 80 combat you stop gaining combat experience. If you die and lose the xp, you can rebuild your char to any build you like;
  • This season Deadmen will have full access to the Auction House (seperate to DMM, they won't have access to regular players listings), but will be able to sell only three items at any given moment, won't be allowed to add new auctios if there are any unclaimed items from expired auctions. Trading still won't be allowed. Using mules in any way not allowed as well, use of mules or trying to protect your items in any way apart from the 10 slots in your bank account will result in a ban. We will be following OSRS rules that Deadmen need to be self sufficient, there can't be any item swapping or muling;
  • Deadmen will find rune and archery stores to have way more runes at a higher respawn rate than regular players, rune stores will have 100 death runes in stock;
  • Karamja general store - safe zone;
  • Deadmen will receive untradable startup items that will help to get started;
  • Fishing lobster, tuna or swordfish will yield 3x times the fish;
  • The counter of combat levels that can be attacked outside of safe zones has been increased from 1 level every 2 squares to 1 level every 3 squares. Previously 2 squares away from safe zone = +1 level to attack, so for example if I'm cmb lvl 62 mining iron ore in East Varrock mine, I can attack players with 49 combat, or be attacked by players with 75 combat. With the change, 62 cmb character in exact same spot can attack 53 cmb players or be attacked by 71 combat. Just FYI, Wilderness levels increase every 5 squares.
  • Deadmen entering the game will receive different startup items than regular players, there will be more runes, arrows, weapons and food for an easier start.
  • Safety Deposit box has been implemented, same as on OSRS, Deadmen will now risk a percentage of their bank on death, only items in a Safety Deposit Box will be safe. SDP can hold 10 items only, not stacks.
    66f2a5decb5d4739f4ff819eb947a2ec.png
  • Draynor bank will be an unsafe zone where pk'ers will be able to bank, to keep fights that can have quick banking from happening, a 10 second out of combat timer has been added.
  • Since substancial part of the Pk'ing community does not like questing, we will be making a compromise, so players are still forced to walk around the map completing quests, but it does not take a full day to complete everything. When a DMM character will be made, upon leaving the tutorial island, part of the available quests will be automatically completed: Cook's assistant, Imp catcher, Sheep shearer, Romeo and Juliet, Doric's quest, Witch's potion, The Restless Ghost and Shield of Arrav.
  • Deadmen won't be able to obtain clue scrolls.

Ideas that still need discussion and feedback:

• 1. I personally don't think that 1v1 would really work, it could be used only in selected areas where there are no NPC's to jump on to save yourself, what areas are worthy of having 1v1? Maybe skilling zones where groups of players may try to "take over"? Or maybe a 2v1 maximum should be implemented, if player is in combat only one player can cast/range the victim?
  • 2. DMM will be for a short period of time, I think players would like to track their progress and compete for acheivements, what kind of acheivements would you like to track? For example most DMM keys used, most whatever skilling items made, most r2h's PK'ed, ect.
  • 3. What kind of end game would you like to see? Last day of DMM = you die and are not sent back to Lumbridge?
  • 4. What if there was a NPC casket drop where you may find random supplies, weapons, ect. This would reward getting out of the safe zone and grinding the NPC's. We would make a public drop table what NPC's have a chance of dropping what. It would be similar drop rate to Clue Scrolls maybe, so it's not a very often drop, but still a drop that would lure people out into danger to grind NPC's.

There were some ideas for removing guard protection for banks, I agree that we could make the guards more approachable, but I think killing other players still needs to put you in huge danger and you need to run for your life to protect your stats, dmm keys and bank. If getting rekt with three keys in inventory make you bash your screen and quit, so be it, go cry to your mommy.

If you reply to the numbered list ideas, please place the number of the question you're answering to so we can track the feedback easily smile Thank you for the replies!

Player avatar

Synbios Send PM

subscriber

Quick feedback:

1. At first I didn't like the idea of a level cap but on second thought it's a really good idea. Honestly 80 sounds about right to me to allow a variety of builds. Flat 80s would be relatively quick to get too - making a 40 1 99 build less desirable because it would be weaker and take longer to obtain. (This is good, the 40 1 99 build has been run into the ground - we need variety to keep DM interesting)

2. Given that we will have only a F2P map and assuming we are going to implement the level cap, I think the attack radius from the previous DM will be perfectly fine. If you decide to not implement a level cap, it should be cut down to 2-3 squares instead of 5.

3. I thought the XP rate and recovery rate from the last DM was pretty well balanced. Maybe the rate will be a little high if we do the level cap? Depends on how long you want this DM "Season" to last.

4. Not sure....maybe mithril 2H and steel armor?

5. Hard to say. Multilogging only really starts to suck when someone has 20 characters to cover every level bracket. 1IP might be necessary, but that gets annoying as hell too at times when you're trying to switch characters (Non-PK activities) and you have to wait. I think we will be OK without 1IP, given that this won't be a long term thing.

6. 1v1 ruins the classic mechanics of RSC. To hell with that.

7. Either allow full access to trading and the AH, or none at all. That or come up with a system that can't be abused like what we had.

Don't really have an answer for the rest.

Last edited by Synbios (6 Jul 2018 14:53)

Player avatar

GreenKing Send PM

subscriberDMM2_Participant

Let's think about this for a second. If we only have access to f2p areas, that means our only way of obtaining rune is grinding out dragon slayer. Then what? Obtaining the gp for the rune items is going to mean endlessly grinding fishing and selling raw food to the fishing store. There are no means of farming npcs in f2p. I get what we are trying to accomplish here... But I thought the point of re doing dmm is to increase the pk action and decrease the questing and skilling.
I think quest points should be maxed on all dmm characters and a pk point store should be added. If we have to quest and skill for a 30 day season, I personally will not be playing

Player avatar

Kleio Send PM

modDMM2_Participant

GreenKing said:

Let's think about this for a second. If we only have access to f2p areas, that means our only way of obtaining rune is grinding out dragon slayer. Then what? Obtaining the gp for the rune items is going to mean endlessly grinding fishing and selling raw food to the fishing store. There are no means of farming npcs in f2p. I get what we are trying to accomplish here... But I thought the point of re doing dmm is to increase the pk action and decrease the questing and skilling.
I think quest points should be maxed on all dmm characters and a pk point store should be added. If we have to quest and skill for a 30 day season, I personally will not be playing

Well DMM is not only for PK'ing, but you need to compete for resources as well. I've actually forgot one thing I wanted to add, so I'll add it into the main post and paste it here as a reply.

• 11. What if there was a NPC casket drop where you may find random supplies, weapons, ect. This would reward getting out of the safe zone and grinding the NPC's. We would make a public drop table what NPC's have a chance of dropping what. It would be similar drop rate to Clue Scrolls maybe, so it's not a very often drop, but still a drop that would lure people out into danger to grind NPC's.

Player avatar

S O B BSpace Send PM

subscriber5donorDMM2_Participant

So now this is just a "pk mode"?  Before, it was a whole new economy, an alternate world if you will.  Looks like I won't be playing.

What's even the point of having leveling?  If you're completely destroying skilling, might as well just assign a pk lvl and have people pick whatever stats they want for that combat lvl, then you don't have to worry about finding people your level and all that.

Vet Paul
Iron Paul
Paul
[img]http://i.imgur.com/or9jdo2.png[/img]

Player avatar

Kleio Send PM

modDMM2_Participant

S O B BSpace said:

So now this is just a "pk mode"?  Before, it was a whole new economy, an alternate world if you will.  Looks like I won't be playing.

What's even the point of having leveling?  If you're completely destroying skilling, might as well just assign a pk lvl and have people pick whatever stats they want for that combat lvl, then you don't have to worry about finding people your level and all that.

We are having a discussion on what we want to have on DMM, can you pin point which particular changes to DMM make you think it's just a "pk mode"? Is it the 11. point i just made?

Player avatar

Mod Rah Send PM

mod

S O B BSpace said:

i'm a little confused. you'd be skilling and farming items. how has skilling been removed? tongue

Feel free to message me in-game, on the forums, or on Discord with any questions or concerns you may have.

Read the Rules

Player avatar

VITUHARAKAS Send PM

1. Good idea. In theory. Reality... most players will make 1 def hybrids and this is the aboslute worst/most boring/least skillful form of pking. Still, the idea is good. So maybe make the 80 max combat, with option to change your char to flat stats once you turn combat 80. Could be done once or back and forth. Flats could only fight with other flats. Even so, you have to take into consideration for players to make more interesting builds the rune armor has to have a really low value. Everyone running around with 1 def PKers is just too boring.

2. I see no point in skilling in deadman. People who want to skill already have a variety of options to chose from. No really, Im not bashing on skillers but I see absolutely no reason for skilling in deadman mode. Especially considering its f2p.

3. Pretty fast. Like a 20 minute timeout to get max stats again. Super fast. Super super fast.

4. Dont see a single reason for the skilling part. Please someone tell me.

6. Yeah NPC zones where you can take over to farm rune armor/runes. Dont see a point in skilling once again. Its a short period of time anyways. Not worth the time investment with little fun to be had.

7. Easily tradeable. This should be PK mode.

8. Yeah, lumbridge. Since its prob gonna be a safe zone.

9. Most kills doesnt show anything. Probably who played the most or has the best team depending on how it turns out.

10. A battle on varrock square with last man standing. Everyone gets banned after the event.

Player avatar

wellasusual Send PM

200donor

skilling is an important part of the process in DMM though. don't play with it at all

Player avatar

VITUHARAKAS Send PM

S O B BSpace said:

Im gonna use your reasoning.

Whats the point of "skilling DM mode"?  So we can see who has the most firemaking xp by the end of the event?
The point is to PK. You still lose xp after you die. Making xp super slow is a bad idea. If you have no intention of PKin there is no point to play deadman mode. Hiding in deadman mode and getting high skill total is a completely pointless. Irony.

Last edited by VITUHARAKAS (6 Jul 2018 16:26)

Player avatar

GreenKing Send PM

Let's be a little more specific when we talk about skilling in dmm. Obviously firemaking will be pointless. Mining, smiting, fishing, and cooking will be a huge part of the game. Crafting will play a role as well for ammies. I think it is absolutely crucial to have some custom npc spots for farming and training.

Player avatar

VITUHARAKAS Send PM

GreenKing said:

Let's be a little more specific when we talk about skilling in dmm. Obviously firemaking will be pointless. Mining, smiting, fishing, and cooking will be a huge part of the game. Crafting will play a role as well for ammies. I think it is absolutely crucial to have some custom npc spots for farming and training.

Depending what do you want the outcome to be. This could turn out great or it could be hiding mode with one big team dominating.

Player avatar

Kleio Send PM

modDMM2_Participant

Thank you for the reply, Vituharakas, here is my response to your thoughts.

VITUHARAKAS said:

1. Good idea. In theory. Reality... most players will make 1 def hybrids and this is the aboslute worst/most boring/least skillful form of pking. Still, the idea is good. So maybe make the 80 max combat, with option to change your char to flat stats once you turn combat 80. Could be done once or back and forth. Flats could only fight with other flats. Even so, you have to take into consideration for players to make more interesting builds the rune armor has to have a really low value. Everyone running around with 1 def PKers is just too boring.

I don't know why you think the most popular popular build without a doubt will be the 1def build and why do you have to bash it in this thread, but I believe the community will balance itself out with a variety of builds, especially since you will be risking your stats all the time. The jump from 80 to 123 idea does not seem to be thought through.

VITUHARAKAS said:

2. I see no point in skilling in deadman. People who want to skill already have a variety of options to chose from. No really, Im not bashing on skillers but I see absolutely no reason for skilling in deadman mode. Especially considering its f2p.

The reason to skill is the same as doing it on any other game mode or MMORPG in general, some people like working for resources, gathering items or xp for statistics, their own pleasure or bragging rights. DMM gives an opportunity to do exactly that in a high risk environment that you can experience only during DMM or idk, skill only in Wilderness for whatever reason.

VITUHARAKAS said:

3. Pretty fast. Like a 20 minute timeout to get max stats again. Super fast. Super super fast.

If you want max stats to be obtainable in 20 minutes, why even have training and make settable stats? Idk where fun and risk is in that, dead man mode is not only just a couple weeks of PK outside Wilderness, it's a balance of risk an reward, you risk all your progress and you build back if you die, or become more OP than others if you keep getting the sweet sweet kills. If we make everything just easy mode, it will be just a boring thing that will die quick and no one even remember it has happened.

I'd like to add that this is not just a "pk mode", it's still rscrevolution Classic with all it's rich features, just in a different environment for a short period of time, to spice things up a bit from regular game.

Player avatar

S O B BSpace Send PM

subscriber5donorDMM2_Participant

Kleio said:

We are having a discussion on what we want to have on DMM, can you pin point which particular changes to DMM make you think it's just a "pk mode"? Is it the 11. point i just made?

Mod Rah said:

i'm a little confused. you'd be skilling and farming items. how has skilling been removed?

Well, the "more than likely implemented to DMM" made it seem like these changes are likely to be seen.

"Access only to f2p map area" So that takes out most training spots for all members skill, takes out legends and hero's guilds, and most member quests and even custom quests.  I don't want to go nit-picking at all the other minor changes, because this alone takes the wind out of doing anything other than training combat and pk'ing.

I mean, this mode sounds like a cool idea, but it's not Deadman mode in the actual rscrevolution sense, it's juts a new custom mode.

VITUHARAKAS said:

Whats the point of "skilling DM mode"?  So we can see who has the most firemaking xp by the end of the event?
The point is to PK. You still lose xp after you die. Making xp super slow is a bad idea. If you have no intention of PKin there is no point to play deadman mode. Hiding in deadman mode and getting high skill total is a completely pointless. Irony.

That's not my reasoning at all, but okay.  Who said the point is to pk?  What is skilling hurting?  Who said to make XP slower? How does it affect YOU that 10-15 people on this server want to level firemaking with an increased xp rate, other than it puts more people into the world to potentially fight?  Lastly, I don't think you know what irony means.  An example of irony is you calling skill total pointless, as if there's any point to playing this game at all.  What's the point of getting the most kills in deadman mode?  Oh, cause it's fun.  But what if some people find skilling and questing and acquiring resources fun?  Crazy...

Last edited by S O B BSpace (6 Jul 2018 17:25)

Vet Paul
Iron Paul
Paul
[img]http://i.imgur.com/or9jdo2.png[/img]

Player avatar

VITUHARAKAS Send PM

Just my ideas from a perspective to make people PK. I appreciate the work put in but most likely it will be similar to last deadman mode.

From the balance part. Maybe make the char level 3 again after dien for the 10th time. Just some ideas lol.

Player avatar

VITUHARAKAS Send PM

S O B BSpace said:

Kleio said:

Mod Rah said:

i'm a little confused. you'd be skilling and farming items. how has skilling been removed?

Well, the "more than likely implemented to DMM" made it seem like these changes are likely to be seen.

"Access only to f2p map area" So that takes out most training spots for all members skill, takes out legends and hero's guilds, and most member quests and even custom quests.  I don't want to go nit-picking at all the other minor changes, because this alone takes the wind out of doing anything other than training combat and pk'ing.

I mean, this mode sounds like a cool idea, but it's not Deadman mode in the actual rscrevolution sense, it's juts a new custom mode.

VITUHARAKAS said:

That's not my reasoning at all, but okay.  Who said the point is to pk?  What is skilling hurting?  Who said to make XP slower? How does it affect YOU that 10-15 people on this server want to level firemaking with an increased xp rate, other than it puts more people into the world to potentially fight?  Lastly, I don't think you know what irony means.  An example of irony is you calling skill total pointless, as if there's any point to playing this game at all.  What's the point of getting the most kills in deadman mode?  Oh, cause it's fun.  But what if some people find skilling and questing and acquiring resources fun?  Crazy...

Youre right. Getting the most kills is pointless. Atleast that being the goal is. Pking is interacting with other players/challenging fun. Keeping count of kills, K/D is for nerds. We can see who is a good pker and who is not on the daily. That doesnt make anyone superior or inferior. It is what it is. And skilling doesnt hurt anyone, youre right again. Im biased, my idea of deadman would be PK-action filled. To each their own I guess. Last time the high levels logged out/teleported right away. It was super hard to find anyone to PK and it was not rewarding at all. After the first 2 weeks most players gave up trying to PK on deadman.

Last edited by VITUHARAKAS (6 Jul 2018 17:38)

Player avatar

Anna Send PM

subscriber

If this is truly the event of the summer, that's a true bummer.
Training another account that will just get deleted eventually isn't idealistic.

You guys have been doing tons of updates regarding PKing lately- which I'm guessing is to make it more appealing and have players actually participate in PKing, and now you're introducing another PK mode that will surely attract a few players and thus divide the PKing population which you've been previously trying to please? Sounds a bit counterproductive.

Last edited by Anna (7 Jul 2018 21:59)

Player avatar

Kleio Send PM

modDMM2_Participant

Anna said:

If this is truly the event of the summer, that's a true bummer.
Training another account that will just get deleted eventually isn't idealistic.

You guys have been doing tons of updates regarding PKing lately- which I'm guessing is to make it more appealing and have players actually participate in PKing, and now you're introducing another PK mode that will surely attract a few players and thus divide the PKing population which you've been previously trying to please? Sounds a bit counterproductive.

This is just something to spice things up a bit, the game is 17 years old, this is just an activity some people find quite fun.

Player avatar

Sosa Send PM

DMM2_PKer

make dmm chars quested fully . everything is good aside from having 2 grind quests. dont listen to the nutjobs... agree with everything u said kleio

Last edited by Sosa (8 Jul 2018 20:48)

[img]https://i.imgur.com/5EbruRm.jpg[/img]
*beta tester *combat formula tester *first to slay whiteboy 3x in a row *first to kill someone with a pickaxe *first ironman in legends guild *first to dismantle swordpire *first pk in rscr

[img]https://i.imgur.com/s5KdyZE.png[/img]

Player avatar

deadmanmiyu Send PM

as far as I can tell, alot of people seem to want deadman to be some kind of quick pvp event.. my answers here are based on the first post that was here with the 13 "issues" as I copied them to answer whenever I wasnt busy..

Access only to f2p map area (aswell as f2p items only) - this will make 1v1 way too slow and feels like something the current "real pkers" think is a good thing.. I agree that the zone is quite large if all of p2p area would be used with the amount of players on the server, but to remove all the p2p items, spells, skills etc will make the time to kill someone alot slower, and tbh. it worked in last "season", even with the bigger map and an even lower playercount as far as I can tell?

Can't enter wilderness - limits some of the map (maybe keep p2p map if wildy is all gone?) , it also makes people that usually just afk farm in wildy on their normal chars to have a reason to venture out in the actual real map and find new hidden gem spots to farm at

karamja fishing platform - for the love of God no, one of the most fun things when you had a few minutes over was to go to catherby fishingspot ungeared, stand in the bunch of fishers, swap on ur r2h and start a fullout brawl, any unexpecting fisher that went full normalmode 0 food all uncooked got their head put into the water rather quick.. there should be a risk to get the "best" food in the game

now for the other points..

1+2. no levelcap and no cap to what level you can attack, make it as OSRS version of deadman is, if you kill someone of a much lower level, make you have a skull of an hour so you actually get punished for it, like last "season" having to level a character on each level was complete bullshit just to kill someones skiller character (usually thievers that never answered to text and kept thieving except after a mod was called to tp them around). - what could be done aswell if possible, is some kind of xp cap as what OSRS use, making it so u would grind for your xp cap, then go pk, next day, you have more xp to cap, also this would keep the levels of players around the same.. this also gives time for other things, such as doing quests to get an edge, wearing gear that others wouldnt since they dont quest or even to do skilling (ofc skilling wouldnt be capped since it doesnt change ur chances in combat)

3. somewhat connected to 1+2, if there would be an xp cap, the rates that was on first season wouldnt be too bad in my opinion? it wasnt too fast neither was it slow

4. ?????? a link to some rscrevolution wiki, how to make gp? seems pointless to have a startup package when its not hard to get items, you already have the bestiary to see what all mobs drop no? and yet again, if there is a xp cap for combat xp, the time you have to make gp, skill, look at what mobs to farm the next day to cap your combat xp and get the items you want

5. 1 IP seems like a good idea, but going back to 1+2 answer, if there is a 1IP you cant have a attack level cap, having to level several characters to pk peoples skillers, fishers etc. its also very easy to just have a fisheralt on ur mobileclient fishing, especially if theres a safezone for fishing, runes in inventory for quick tp to safe bank 0 risk, this is the same thing if theres "safe" training spots with mobs that drop runearmors (really?). as for teaming, since the majority of the world was 1v1, actually making use of teaming to cut off someones escape for me was a fun part of it, but the old deadman post mentioned that keypointss like barb village for example would be a multi area, but it wasnt, instead all of wildy was a multi area, making huge teams have a large advantage of the bonus xp for being in wildy and most common afk spots to train in.

6. as I poked abit about at the end of 5., 1v1 for me was a fun thing especially playing in a team of 2, making use of your teammate to approach someone from different angles to catch them offguard, forcing them to fight one of the two.. if anything, dont make it into full multi all over the world, since it would just make bigger teams, force people to fight 1v1 or at most 2v2 unless at a designated multi zone (as what barbvillage was supposed to be)

7. auctionhouse gave you a way to trade with deadmans, but it also benefitted muling and alts, however this is something you will never be able to actually punish, remove purchase function on AH? just kill your own alt to transfer, whats gonna stop that? remove items from dropping when u kill another player? wouldnt really work in a mode thats quite heavily pk focused

8. just no, players need to find their own way to get food, its part of the game, especially in deadman, who doesnt want to to fight in the cowpen to steal someones hardearned cooked meats?

9. not really sure about this one as I dont really care too much, but.. "most DMM keys used" what if this also could show you what level the player you killed with the key was? then you could atleast show that you didnt just bash level 3s for their keys, for skilling achievement maybe first to 99 in different skillings? getting into legends? (if p2p remains)

10. Imo. should be something for the mods to decide on together and suprise the players with.

11. Imo. I dont like random caches that can drop with good loot, theres already alot of monsters that can drop rune items, if anything, it could be a key drop that would also show like a deadman key above your head, so you have to go unlock your "cache" at some certain spot, also make it so you can only have 1 of those on you like a cluescroll, so you can decide, do you want to pick the key up to make you a pk target or not (cache have to be valuable enough for you to risk your life tho)

12. what will stop non deadmans from farming these mobs? dont really see the point if p2p or wildy would remain (one of the two) since thats where most valuable mobs are, but if both these zones would be removed, there need to be some mobs at areas that could drop decent items (dragons, demons etc.) or just force people to level smithing.. HOWEVER.. where do we get rune ore if we cant go to wilderness? smile

13. answered this one earlier before the post got edited.

also, safezones in general should not even be accessable by a skulled deadman, but there should be alot more "rogue" banks for deadmans to make use of when skulled, looking to OSRS version, they have edgeville, draenor and al kharid arena bank in the "f2p" areas (possibly even more, not entirely sure), but last season here, you could pretty much waltz through safezones and even bank when skulled without much difficulty.. killing another player in deadman is rewarding but should also be a risk
and thinking back, the items you got from someones key was by far not their most valuable items, instead it seemed to focus on the stack size, so if I had 100 r2h in my bank, aswell as 101 burnt shrimp, it would give the killing player a part of my burnt shrimp stack, not the r2hs that have a much higher value. and I dont know how many that actually knew, but beeing skulled in last season when you died, reduced the xp you lost aswell as reduced the amount of items your killer got from your key, so doing a ::skull when someone attacked you while very far away from a safe area actually benefitted you incase of death.

oh, also forgot to mention, the 10 safeslot shouldnt be able to hold stackables imo. thats your storage for incase you die to either use or sell to be able to buy new food, gear etc. the fact that I could have all my large stacks of items in those 10 slots (runes mainly) and keep trashitems in a higher stacksize than my rune items outside of the safeslots to make those trashitems drop instead of the lowerstack amount rune items were quite flawed.

Last edited by deadmanmiyu (8 Jul 2018 20:54)

- Bootyhunter