How to make Agility and Firemaking good

Player avatar

OxiClean Send PM

subscriber

Preface: So rumor has it in this game there are these two "skills" called agility and firemaking. In reality they're just two long, drawn-out minigames someone at rscrevolution made to spite us. A quick analysis of the RSCR high-scores indicates that agility and fire-making suck the worst of any skills, respectively. Almost no one wants to train either and people who seek to max them have little to look forward to.

The solution is to implement new content for those skills, such as:

RSCR Firemaking

• Oak willow yew etc. logs, though already lightable, should give higher xp than regular logs, and their fires should last longer, with magic fires giving the most xp and lasting the longest.
  • Different size/design flames should be possible as a reward for higher fm levels (e.g. bonfire would occupy 4 land squares, need more wood to start, give greater exp. Dies faster than regular fire, unless fed logs.)
  • The ability to 'add' logs to an existing bonfire, thereby extending its life, would be implemented. More than one person can train on the same bonfire, adding a social aspect. Adding logs is batched, albeit slowly.
  • Different color flames should be possible as a reward for higher fm levels (e.g. new colors available at 50, until finally all colors available at 90? One way to do this would be to link the fire color to the log type.)
  • You would be able to use tinderbox on a log in your inventory without dropping it.
  • Cooking done on high-level fires has a slightly lower burned-food rate. This bonus would stack with cooking gauntlets. Having 80 firemaking is like wearing 5% of a pair of cooking gaunts, while 99 is as if you were wearing a full pair. 99 cooking with cooking gauntlets is like wearing 2x cooking gauntlets.
  • What else can you think of?

In general, tiered and sustained firemaking, and a few new fire sprites.

RSCR Agility

• Need a 100-200% increase of in-game walking shortcuts. Taverly->Falador shortcut should go the other way too, Falador->Taverly (and this should be implemented for any one-way shortcut, unless there is some good reason for it to be one-way.) Others I can think of are, Taverly<->Catherby at base of white wolf mtn (70?), 2) Lumbridge Church <-> Lumbridge Swamp through the gate (20?), 3) Goblin Village <-> Chaos Temple up/down the hill (40?), 4) Yanille <-> Ogre peninsula at the Southeast corner outside Yanille (50?). 5) Through the window of the room with the white bed right next to the Edgeville auction house eternal fire so people cooking can move 8 squares and use a bed (70). 6) Log bridge Lumby Swamp <->Al Kharid (80). Shortcut to blue dragons at Taverly (90), or even to black dragons (92). What other shortcuts should be added?
  • Agility level should inversely correlate with fatigue gained. At 99 agility, fatigue should be gained 1/3rd slower than base.
  • Agility level should inversely correlate with odds of failing a web cut. At 99 agility, failing to cut a web should be 50% as likely as for 1 agility.
  • Gnomeball should work, be a competitive player v player game with higher agility rewards.
  • Ever noticed how all the camels in the game have muzzles, but no riders? Those with 40 agility can click "ride" on an Al-Kharid camel and select transport to either Shantay Pass (Al-Kharid side), the gate with Lumbridge (Lumbridge side), or the open gate toward Varrock. The transport will cost 10gp, but upon completion of Prince Ali Rescue, Emir Hassan lets you ride his camels for free. Upon completion of Tourist Trap, those with 50 agility can click "ride" on a South Kharid desert camel, and select transport either to the Shantay Pass (south side), or the Bedouin camp. Camel rides are only accessible from where they normally walk, i.e. Al-Kharid and Kharid Desert.
  • River rafts/rowboats: The River Lum stretches from south Lumby to just north of Edgeville. The skipper in Lumbridge offers boat rides Lum->Edge, which is a good start. Implement boat rides you can take yourself. The number of stops you can travel along the river in one go, and the odds of you getting swept away by the tide (and ending up in Lumby), are tied to your agility level. Similar thing could be done with the p2p area river, which goes from the Waterfall down to the ocean by the Observatory, and it should be higher-level to use. If you wreck the boat, you have to repair it with planks and nails before you'll be able to use it again. The boat can only be used a certain number of times before the probability of it needing repair reaches 100%. The boat can be boarded where you just left it, as well as Lumbridge.
  • Sea ships: Those with 60 agility who have finished Dragon Slayer can repair then sail their ship, the Lumbridge Lady, from Port Sarim to Port Brimhaven, Port Shilo, or Port Khazard. Those with higher agility can sail to non-port locations such Gu'tanoth/Ogre peninsula, the Observatory, Thurgo's peninsula, Wizard's Tower, Bedouin Camp, Hazelmere's island, and of course back to Crandor should they desire. Talk to Ned at Port Sarim, he's your first-mate. The ship can be boarded from where you last left it, as well as in Port Sarim. You get 4-8 trips before you need to repair it with planks and nails.
  • Personal glider: Those who have finished Grand Tree quest are awarded a human-size gnome glider made special. If you already beat it go back to the guy on the top of the tree to get it. Requires 70 agility to fly and breaks every 4-8 times. Can fly from anywhere to all gnome glider locations (Grand Tree, Al-Kharid, White Wolf Mountain, East of Tai Bwo Wannai), and also to the top floor of the Hemenster and Lumbridge windmills (75), to the Dig Site (70), Ice Mountain (north of Falador) (75), and near Baxtorian Waterfall (75). Breaks down every 4-8 trips, 50% chance of breaking down after 4 trips at 70 agility scales all the way to 0% of breaking down after 4 trips at 99 agility. Requires repair from the grand tree guy for 10k. The glider goes in your inventory and when you use it, appears equipped on your character briefly just before and after the teleport.
  • All new shortcuts and transports yield a little agility exp.
  • I am, unfortunately/fortunately, not suggesting adding animations for these transports. Transport would just be instant and give some whitetext.

In general, more shortcuts and a system of routes making agility an alternative to magic teleportation.

Thank you for reading! Let me know what you like and don't like!

Feel free to browse my other suggestions:
(Zoom in/out, client resize on Mac, deposit all to bank - combat menu toggling options - All messages autoswitch toggle, using 'escape' to delete text / close windows, remove "[General]" prefix from global messages - Add search bar to bank - Hammock at the Fishing Guild)

Last edited by OxiClean (31 Jan 2016 01:44)

=========
Billy Mays' Quest Reviews[img]http://i.imgur.com/VD3epZ6.png[/img]

Player avatar

Johnny420 Send PM

subscriber

These are good ideas. The only time i mess with firemaking is because i have to cook food, and even then i ussually use edge fire.

[img]http://i68.tinypic.com/25rfqc9.gif[/img]

Player avatar

Evan Send PM

subscriber

I don't know about the bonfires, but I like all of the other suggestions ... a lot. It would be cool if magic logs burned blue.

edit: To elaborate, I just feel like 4 squares would be too big and would either look bad or just completely engulf people that stood in them.

Last edited by Evan (20 Jan 2016 08:30)

Player avatar

tylerthaboss Send PM

always great suggestions +1

[img]http://i66.tinypic.com/2gwamv9.png[/img]

Player avatar

Kleio Send PM

modDMM2_Participant

I like the ideas, I think when we are done with current new content projects we could start working on these two near-useless skills.

Player avatar

Mod reptar Send PM

Mod Kleio said:

I like the ideas, I think when we are done with current new content projects we could start working on these two near-useless skills.

This. ^^^

Also very well written Billy mays +1.

Player avatar

cafedunier Send PM

subscriber

Awesome suggestions!! I would love to see magic logs burn a sparkly blue. I love the agility ideas.. they soooo much more interest to the game.

Player avatar

Actumen Send PM

subscriber

+1 for, at the very least, way more agility shortcuts. Would love to see less-loved skills gain use.

Player avatar

manowar Send PM

subscriber

Brilliant stuff. It seems as if several of these common-sense suggestions could be implemented relatively easily, while others are perhaps worth the effort. Even if only a couple things were done to each skill that would improve on what we have currently.

Player avatar

540dude Send PM

subscriber

Love all of these suggestions.  I really only raise either of these for easier access to legends guild presently.

Player avatar

Exotic Dance Send PM

subscriber

-1 we need at least one crappy skill to display our dominance when we actually max it like crazy people

Player avatar

OxiClean Send PM

subscriber

Added: Gnomeball should work, be a competitive player v player game with higher agility rewards.

Evan said:

I don't know about the bonfires, but I like all of the other suggestions ... a lot. It would be cool if magic logs burned blue.

edit: To elaborate, I just feel like 4 squares would be too big and would either look bad or just completely engulf people that stood in them.

To address this concern, I imagine the bonfires as being as short as a regular fire at its max height, just a wider base of a fire.

Last edited by OxiClean (31 Jan 2016 01:47)

=========
Billy Mays' Quest Reviews[img]http://i.imgur.com/VD3epZ6.png[/img]

Player avatar

punKrockeR Send PM

subscriber

+99

"I am an Anarchist! Wherefore I will
Not rule, & also ruled I will not be!"

— John Henry Mackay

Player avatar

pepster Send PM

subscriber

4 square mega fire ftw lol.

[img]http://i58.tinypic.com/dy7kea.png[/img]

Player avatar

Karma Send PM

subscriber

love these hope to see some of these in the future

[img]http://i65.tinypic.com/2igbts4.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i64.tinypic.com/243op6u.jpg[/img]

Player avatar

Ghasp Send PM

subscriber

+1 I would love more added to all skills to give greater incentives to reach high lvls

Ribbit. Ribbit. CROAK.

Player avatar

Aonbyte Send PM

subscriber

I support extra agility shortcuts.

Player avatar

Dparsons Send PM

subscriber

Player avatar

scornedmagi Send PM

subscriber

This is amazingly written and constructed. I love it!

[TRUST][HONOR][LOYALTY]
Check out my Skills I offer FREE!

Player avatar

Zm Send PM

subscriber

+1 Firemaking is realy useless skill. Just to increase skill total smile We should come up with ideas like this, how to make fun this skill.

Last edited by Zm (25 Mar 2016 00:07)