Slow on one phone and not the other?

Player avatar

Hans Send PM

I have an odd issue where one of my phones, an HTC desire 520, only gets a choppy max 2fps, while the other phone, an HTC desire 510 (an earlier model) gets an average smooth 30fps give or take.  Both phones have been factory reset but the fps difference is still staggering.  I'm not really an electronics person so maybe there's something I'm missing. Shouldn't both of these similar phones be running at similar speeds? I'm getting rid of the 510 soon and I'd really like to get the 520 up to speed!

Player avatar

Billy Send PM

Former Admin

We'll look into this. Possible the slower client phone runs an older version of Java by default? Do you know what versions?

[img]https://i.imgur.com/3xbQmDo.gif[/img]Read the rules: Automated play is a bannable offense![img]https://i.imgur.com/HtElPYg.gif[/img]
lol Billy Mays' Quest Reviews lol

Player avatar

MayDai Send PM

HTC Desire had some nasty bugs, try updating firmware on the device or clearing cache from the recovery menu that android phones have, Also try this fix i found on forums regarding HTC Desire 520 and the lag issues it experiences.

HTC Desire HD - Laggy and Slow - Issue identified and fixed

If you find your HTC Desire running slow, laggy, or a bit sluggish, then it's most likely related to the /init issue as identified on the XDA forums. The /init process kicks in and consumes around 80-90% of the CPU constantly making it laggy to swipe, gallery very slow and jerky for most actions. This is easy to identify by running a process manager like Watchtower which will reveal this. Restarting the phone resolves this for a few hours or maybe even a day.

However, the XDA forums have found a workaround.

===QUOTE===
"A fix has been found to stop the /Init process lagging the phone.
On your phone go to..
Menu/settings/applications/development/now turn on Usb debugging..
This seems to keep the / init process at 0% CPU usage, it also works when the /INIT problem starts, turning USB debugging on will make the /INIT process drop back to 0%, very nice to see."
===QUOTE===

I'm testing this today, but am pretty confident as most users were testing it over the weekend. I experience the lag after only a few hours from a device restart. The downside is that it causes your PC to try and find a driver when you connect it up as a USB device. However, not installing one will not prevent you from using it.

Player avatar

n0m Send PM

Administratorsubscriber

Maybe your hardware acceleration is somehow disabled? Its the only thing I can think of that affects FPS by that much. Ive tried to run the app on phones without it and its impossible to get above 5 FPS.

Player avatar

Hans Send PM

Thanks for the replies and I'm working on figuring it all out now.  Between the three responses, I had already tried the USB debugging fix with no luck unfortunately.  So i believe my last options have to do with figuring out hardware acceleration and/or my java version.

Regarding the java version, I found out that the slower device I'm using has no java capabilities, while the faster device has java enabled via a "java midp emulator".  Could this be my reason? Is there a way to run the launcher file via a third party java emulator or something?

Regarding hardware acceleration, I don't think I'm savvy enough to wrap my head around it yet