Recolor/Revamping Sprites

Player avatar

Fingle Send PM

DMM2_Participant

To be honest, I absolutely love the graphics in RSC, and continued onto RSCR. There are some things I would like to see updated tho, maybe you all feel the same or maybe not. But I wanted to start this little thread to at least start the discussion. By no means do I want to completely change the Classic and Nostalgic sprites we all know and love. But I do believe 17 years later, we can improve on some graphical type ideas and hopefully add content to our beloved game.

My First suggestion is a very basic one, that is the wood in-game, they are all one color.. Its not a terrible thing and its not a huge deal by any means but its a small change that might be really cool. I have made a couple different examples, one is just simply recolored, the other is a little bit of pixel editing with the recolors, please tell me what you think about this. I would love to extend this to the bows in-game and hopefully the animations shown on the characters.

Recolors

recoloredwoods.png

Reworked

redonewoods.png

*Reworked Keep Outer*

redonecolors.png

Which Maple Is better??

Maples_Question.png

Bows with a reworked color scheme (2 Maples in the middle)

Bowsoffproposedcolors.png

Based off Bow Grip Color
Suggested by BadBoy666

baseoffbowgrip.png

*More Subtle*

basedoffbowgripsubtle.png

Bows With Grip Color Only

Bowsoffgrip.png

**RETEXTURED BOWS**

Regular Bow
regularbowimg.png
regbowretex.png

Oak Bow
oakbowimg.png
oakbowretex.png

Willow Bow
Willowbowimg.png
willowbowretex.png

Maple Bow
maplebowimg1.png
maplebowretex.png

Yew Bow
Yewbowimg1.png
yewbowretex.png

Magic Bow
Magicbowimg1.png
Magicbowretex.png

**So I was thinking today about another potential item that could add a lot of potential variables to the game, the Crossbow. I have a couple of ideas about this topic, the first being should it be craftable?, (all hypothetical talk btw this are just my thoughts about it), I can't entirely answer that question.. On one hand it would be awesome to see people with that upgraded weapon slot, but on the other hand.. that leaves no room for adventure, how it could be structured is the "limbs" of the crossbow are dropped by various mobs and then the Crossbow is able to be put together by a skilled fletcher, that I think is the most ideal way to structure the introduction of this "Improved" Item. I will also be adding upgraded bolts in a later edit, remember none of this is actually happening in-game, this is just to discuss and maybe produce some thought about what we could do as a community.

**Crossbow Mats**
hempcbstring.png

**Bolts**

Variation #1
Bolts1.png
Variation #2(Feathers, have Bow Grip color resemblense)
Bolts2.png

**Cross Bows**

Bronze/Regular Shaft
br_Cbow.png

Iron/Oak Shaft
io_Cbow.png

Steel/Willow Shaft
sw_Cbow.png

Mithril/Maple Shaft
mm_Cbow.png

Adamantite/Yew Shaft
ay_Cbow.png

Runite/Magic Shaft
rm_Cbow.png

(No wood color is permanent, simply prototypes, I believe the colors should be selected entirely by those who enjoy the game, if there is any color palate that people think should be used please suggest it that would be awesome.)

The Next thing I will be attempting is Herbs, I think the idea of unidentified herbs is absolutely brilliant, they should all look the same and remain the same color, however when you identify them, they then could have a different color, because you cleaned them off and identified them as such. What do you think about this idea?

Herbs

Based off herb mixed with Vial
Herbsbasedoffpotions.png

Recolor
Recolorherb2.png

From left to right, Guam, Marrentill, Tarromin, Harralander, Rannar Weed, Irit, Advantoe, Kwarm, Candantine
Don't have high enough levels to get Dwarf Weed or Torstol any help in-game is greatly appreciated.

*Staffs*

Magic, Air, Earth, Fire, Water

Staffdownstrike.png

Staffrework.png

***RETEXTURED STAFFS***

Air Staff
retextureairstaff.png
Retextured_Airstaffs.png

Earth Staff
retextureearthstaff.png
Retextured_Earthstaffs.png

Fire Staff
retexture_Firestaff.png
Retextured_Firestaffs.png

Water Staff
retexture_Waterstaff.png
Retextured_Waterstaffs.png

Magic Staff
retexturemagicstaff.png
Retextured_Magicstaffs.png

**Other Suggestions**

Bald Head w/ Beard - Suggested by Kizl
baldheadbeard.png

***PROTOTYPE SECTION***

**Guthix Staff**
guthixprototype2.png
I noticed the Guthix Staff is a regular staff?? Can't have that, let me know if you think this should be expanded on!

**Dragon Longsword**
DLong_Prototype.png
Let me know what you think about this Dragon Longsword(This is the animation you will see in your hand when equipped)

**Dragon Chainmail**
Dchainproto.png
Dchainproto2.png
Let me know what you think about this Dragon Chainmail (This is the image you will see when its in your inventory.)

Hope to hear some feedback,
Thank you.

Last edited by Fingle (20 Aug 2018 17:27)

Player avatar

Billy Send PM

Former Admin

What does everyone think? Personally I like the idea of differentiating the logs. On the other hand, the tree trunks are all basically the same color in-game, so there could be some conflict with changing the colors.

[img]https://i.imgur.com/3xbQmDo.gif[/img]Read the rules: Automated play is a bannable offense![img]https://i.imgur.com/HtElPYg.gif[/img]
lol Billy Mays' Quest Reviews lol

Player avatar

Fingle Send PM

DMM2_Participant

That's a great point Billy, I'm sure its possible to either change the tree texture, or what could happen, could leave them and make the outside of the bark relatively the same, and make the center of the wood have the visible difference.

Last edited by Fingle (17 Aug 2018 21:06)

Player avatar

Billy Send PM

Former Admin

Fingle said:

make the outside of the bark relatively the same, and make the center of the wood have the visible difference.

This certainly would avoid any inconsistencies... very curious to see if that would look any good.

[img]https://i.imgur.com/3xbQmDo.gif[/img]Read the rules: Automated play is a bannable offense![img]https://i.imgur.com/HtElPYg.gif[/img]

Player avatar

nighthalk Send PM

I completely agree. I love RSC graphics, I think they trump any other rscrevolution graphics ever. But the color schemes could be changed / adding some opacity and darkening some of the outlines. I work with 3D graphics, I wish I knew anything about sprites cuz i would love to make a couple big_smile

Player avatar

Pepsi Send PM

modsubscriber

I like the idea.  I think if the logs are changed, as said above, the center of the trees as well as the bark should also be changed.  I mean, if we would make the change to the logs, let's go full on and rework it as a whole big_smile

Player avatar

Badboy666 Send PM

subscriber

And match tree/log color to bow color too... Oak blue, Willow Yellow, Maple Orange, Yew Red, Magic black.

Last edited by Badboy666 (18 Aug 2018 00:31)

Rest in peace Eric. You will Always remembered. May you guard Wilderness forever
-Baphomet, Smokablunt, BluntToker, Annabelle and many more.

Player avatar

Fingle Send PM

DMM2_Participant

Ohh Bad Boy that could be interesting, let me see what that will look like also, good idea.

Player avatar

scornedmagi Send PM

subscriber

I'm liking it so far. I like the bow color insides tbh

[TRUST][HONOR][LOYALTY]
Check out my Skills I offer FREE!

Player avatar

Fingle Send PM

DMM2_Participant

Thank you ScornedMagi, appreciate your feedback.

Player avatar

Jan Send PM

Support

Veteran mode player

Player avatar

Trupk3r Send PM

subscriber

+1, this looks great. I've seen it somewhere else long time ago.. Can't remember where. Not it actually happens, but the suggestion smile.

I like it to stay Classic, and this isn't a new item added with alot of things, its just a visual upgrade which I personally really like! Make it happen, also i've been wcing for days now haha. So I would love some new tree's wink

Last edited by Trupk3r (18 Aug 2018 06:00)

Ex RSCRevolution Moderator. https://www.twitch.tv/mrgava

Player avatar

Billy Send PM

Former Admin

Fingle said:

Reworked Keep Outer

redonecolors.png

I think I like this, anyone else? Maybe slight tweaks but not sure.

Player avatar

KizL Send PM

betasubscriber

Billy said:

Fingle said:

Reworked Keep Outer

https://s19.postimg.cc/fiokzzrer/redonecolors.png

I think I like this, anyone else?

Same.
+1

~K!zL

IGN: Alerion, No Mercy, Attila and KizL
[img]http://i.imgur.com/fkgmebI.png[/img]
UP and Subscribe to RSCRevolution on Reddit!
----> RSCRevolution's Reddit ----> RSCRevolution Facebook

Player avatar

Fingle Send PM

DMM2_Participant

Thank you for the support! Heck yeah, whatever can be tweaked, as far as colors and stuff that is totally doable. If you have a certain palette in mind I would gladly change them up a bit and put up more samples.

Last edited by Fingle (18 Aug 2018 06:16)

Player avatar

steelphist Send PM

I like the reworked logs keeping the outer the same.

I agree with the herb colour change. Definitely keep them the same colour when unidentified though. I don't want to see anything like grimy herb, herblore coming near our herblaw.

Player avatar

Fingle Send PM

DMM2_Participant

steelphist said:

I like the reworked logs keeping the outer the same.

I agree with the herb colour change. Definitely keep them the same colour when unidentified though. I don't want to see anything like grimy herb, herblore coming near our herblaw.

I couldn't agree more Steel.

Player avatar

fastmoneyx88 Send PM

subscriberDMM2_Participant

looks dope imo.

Player avatar

Fadeout Send PM

I think this is a great idea. It will be really cool for the game. RSC Looks the same as it did 18 years ago. I believe a change like this would be not only visually appeasing, it would make keeping track of things a lot easier. You can tell Fingle has put a lot of thought and effort into this Idea and I hope it gets considered by the admins/mods

Fade <3's Fingle

Player avatar

Rex1005 Send PM

I realy like the idea of changing the inside color of the logs but think changing the outside bark color would be a bit tacky.

I also love the bow grip color based on the type of logs that are used and the staff tops depending on air, water, earth or fire is great!

Your work is amazing! big_smile