Why Multilogging and Botting are Effectively the Same

Player avatar

Eww Bald Send PM

I'm a bit confused as to why botting is forbidden yet multilogging is allowed?  I understand that somehow the "community" is ok with multilogging but opposed to botting.  However, effectively speaking they bring about similarly negative effects.  Botting is a way that players can get more XP, etc., with less time invested actually interacting with the game, as is multilogging.  This is detrimental to the server because it promotes antisocial behavior and  creates a "ghost town" experience.

The people who you are trying to attract want to play a game that is reminiscent of rscrevolution classic, not some version that is ruled by a handful of players that are addicted to it.  If you want to encourage the growth of the population, you need to cater to those people who don't play yet, not the ones who threaten to leave but never will.

These are just my honest observations after playing on and off over the course of a year or so; anyone is welcome to take this information or leave it. smile

Last edited by Eww Bald (7 Feb 2018 19:16)

"I see..." said the blind man as he pissed into the wind "It's all coming back to me now!".

Player avatar

manmadegod Send PM

Ya but it's not multilogging same chara. As well as everyone can do it so I'm unsure of any downside. I just recently found out about this, so I'd say it's due to the fact not many people know about it. Also why does multilogging affect anybody?

To me global chat is always hopping. I'd say the 30sec chat timer of non subbed members is probably a main reason people don't talk, or just the fact they don't want to talk.

Last edited by manmadegod (7 Feb 2018 19:50)

Player avatar

Eww Bald Send PM

manmadegod said:

Ya but it's not multilogging same chara. As well as everyone can do it so I'm unsure of any downside. I just recently found out about this, so I'd say it's due to the fact not many people know about it. Also why does multilogging affect anybody?

To me global chat is always hopping. I'd say the 30sec chat timer of non subbed members is probably a main reason people don't talk, or just the fact they don't want to talk.

If someone has their main hanging out in edgeville and four other accounts in random areas around the map, they are only interacting on their main usually.  People don't interact with their semi-afk chars so if some new person starts playing and tries to interact with a char that is being afk'd or semi-afk'd, they feel like they're in the presence of a bot.  This is poisonous to a server trying to gain new players.

"I see..." said the blind man as he pissed into the wind "It's all coming back to me now!".

Player avatar

manmadegod Send PM

I don't feel that's true. Im pretty sure you can check logs to see if there botting. Also should they not allow players to block chat messages then? A lot of times I think the people just don't want to talk. With leads to the great addition of the global chat.

Player avatar

cmann80 Send PM

subscriber

i feel like youre getting the wrong idea from the multilogging idea. i understand what youre saying but why would you want to take accounts away from people. what if i want to pk and fish at the same time... i need to be on two accounts, click fishing spot continue what im doing and repeat. it is good for the enviroment and not bad for it in my opinion.

Player avatar

Mod White Send PM

Eww Bald, no matter how you autoing. Autologging, clicking, macroing and other trash software is not allowed, its bannable offense!

THIRD PARTY SOFTWARE.
You agree that you will not use any third party software in conjunction with the SOFTWARE PRODUCT (including but not limited to any modified version of the game, any accessory applications that run in parallel with the game, any initialization or runtime modifications to the game, any applications that provide automated input to the game, or any applications that modify output from the game). By using a third party software the Authors of this SOFTWARE PRODUCT reserve the right to take action against your accounts (including but not limited to banning, deleting, and/or muting) without any warning. The SOFTWARE PRODUCT should not be decompiled, modified, or reverse engineered.

We do not allow any bots, auto clickers, color pickers, mouse recorders, or any other third-party programs that give an advantage over legitimate players. If you use third-party software to assist or augment your gameplay, you will be banned permanently. If you are caught botting more than twice, each of your associated characters will be banned permanently.

Player avatar

Eww Bald Send PM

cmann80 said:

i feel like youre getting the wrong idea from the multilogging idea. i understand what youre saying but why would you want to take accounts away from people. what if i want to pk and fish at the same time... i need to be on two accounts, click fishing spot continue what im doing and repeat. it is good for the enviroment and not bad for it in my opinion.

The reason it's not good to fish with one account while pking with the other is that you are only really present on one account (in this case most likely the pker).  The problem with bots is that no one is present on the account.  With a bot, you are present 0% of the time, with afk you are present maybe 5% of the time and this is probably being generous. 

This is what I mean by botting being effectively the same as multilogging.  In both cases you are playing the game without actually participating and without being present.  It may sound like a nice idea but it's actually not good for server health and it just so happens to be the motive for using bots.  The two are just too close for comfort.

Have you ever had a discussion with someone who is only listening to you half the time?  Does it make you want to have a discussion with them again?  This is what happens if you interact with someone who is watching multiple accounts and it's actually bad for a community, especially one that is looking for new members.

Last edited by Eww Bald (7 Feb 2018 21:08)

Player avatar

Mod Rah Send PM

mod

Multi logging has no inherent similarity to bot use.
As you stated bot use makes it so you're there 0% of the time.
Let's say I'm training combats on one account, fishing on another, mining on another and sitting in edge. I will inherently have to keep up on actions  (Or eating) or it's just not effective.
I've had many times on my player account seen people who were multi. But after 3 minutes or so I got a "hey sorry also fletching" and then they became social on that one. That takes far more than 5% human interaction.

Feel free to message me in-game, on the forums, or on Discord with any questions or concerns you may have.

Read the Rules

Player avatar

Eww Bald Send PM

Mod Rah said:

Multi logging has no inherent similarity to bot use.
As you stated bot use makes it so you're there 0% of the time.
Let's say I'm training combats on one account, fishing on another, mining on another and sitting in edge. I will inherently have to keep up on actions  (Or eating) or it's just not effective.
I've had many times on my player account seen people who were multi. But after 3 minutes or so I got a "hey sorry also fletching" and then they became social on that one. That takes far more than 5% human interaction.

In my experience, it is only sometimes true that the person you strike up a conversation with answers and becomes social.  Why?  Because in being absent the majority of the time you are far less likely to see chat.  You are only paying attention enough to know when to bank, eat, etc. and are missing the opportunities more often than not.  Any way you slice it, your ability to socialize is inversely proportionate to the number of accounts you are juggling.

As far as having no "inherent" similarity to botting, you are incorrect for the 95% of the time where both bots and multis are not paying attention.  Therefore, they are inherently similar 95% of the time. 

As far as my stance on botting is concerned, this thread is in no way defending it.  I have never and never plan to bot.  I'm rather suggesting that multilogging has similar effects to the integrity of the experience of this server and it's ability to attract new players.

Last edited by Eww Bald (7 Feb 2018 23:26)

Player avatar

manmadegod Send PM

You should look into discord if you don't already have it.

Player avatar

artvandelay Send PM

subscriber

You can always chat with people in global unlike the original rsc.

Player avatar

Nyx Send PM

subscriber

If you feel multi logging takes the fun out of playing etc, then don't do it? make an account just one and just use that one? No one makes you multi log, you can play the game how you want.

Some kind words from a fan
[img]https://preview.ibb.co/dNCYi7/newforumsig.jpg[/img]

Player avatar

Stinger splash2 Send PM

If you had 5 chars on you could attempt to have 5 conversations at the same time. Thus being 5 times more likely to get a response.

Player avatar

o0ps13 Send PM

there is some really stupid threads circulating the forums as of late, this being near the top of the list of the most stupid

Turtles

Player avatar

Badboy666 Send PM

subscriber

Multilogging = player putting the work/efforts.
Botting = no efforts/work.
Can't believe how you can even compare both lol.

Rest in peace Eric. You will Always remembered. May you guard Wilderness forever
-Baphomet, Smokablunt, BluntToker, Annabelle and many more.

Player avatar

Eww Bald Send PM

Stinger splash2 said:

If you had 5 chars on you could attempt to have 5 conversations at the same time. Thus being 5 times more likely to get a response.

But you have 1/5th of the ability to hold a conversation...

I'm talking about quality of community, not quantity.  The way it stands is not conducive to attracting players who are looking to relive rsc's glory days.  It was very social!

Player avatar

Joeyblue Send PM

DMM2_Participant

Talk in global that simple I like to keep to my self alwos me to train with out stoping

Player avatar

Eww Bald Send PM

Joeyblue said:

Talk in global that simple I like to keep to my self alwos me to train with out stoping

Yeah global is nice but I don't know if it counts for a new person.

Player avatar

Diztordit Send PM

subscriber

Mod White said:

You agree that you will not use any third party software in conjunction with the SOFTWARE PRODUCT (including but not limited to any modified version of the game, any accessory applications that run in parallel with the game, any initialization or runtime modifications to the game, any applications that provide automated input to the game, or any applications that modify output from the game).

I am reporting myself, and all mobile users for using third party apps. I use Google keyboard. Others may use Samsung keyboard, but either way, the keyboard is used to run in parallel with the gsme, and wasn't created by you. So we must all be banned.

Player avatar

skillystr Send PM

subscriber

I like his take on the multilogging 'ghosttown' affect. He's basically right but. Imo u can't compare oranges to bananas. Boting is not multi logging. Vice versa.

[img]http://i66.tinypic.com/15n3nyw.jpg[/img]