Sno's Advertising Contest - Big Grand Prize

Player avatar

Snosaven24 Send PM

subscriber

Contest Results

I'll be going over the submissions over the coming days and will announce the winners here and on Discord sometime on Tuesday, October 22. Stay tuned!

Grand Prize: Humans Best Advertiser
Second Place: Vinkie!
Third Place: Nobody, since only 2 people submitted anything sad

Hello fellow human people!

If you're active on Discord you're probably well aware of how vocal I am about bringing in new players. So, today I am offering all of you the chance to engage in some marketing magic with the chance to win great 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place prizes. There are obviously rules and guidelines you must follow but you do have some pretty good creative freedom with this contest. You can post advertisements across the vast, weird land known as the internet. You can print flyers and post them on bulletin boards across the vast, also weird real world. You can make a pk or stake video and put it on your YouTube channel or stream yourself spinning some sweet, sweet flax (looking at you, Crispy,) on your platform of choice.

This contest will begin on October 1, 2019 and end on October 14, 2019 (midnight Eastern Time for both.) Hopefully this advanced notice will you give you enough time to formulate a plan to be the best marketer.

Rules and Guidelines

Failure to abide by any of the following rules and guidelines will result in disqualification.

By advertising and promoting this game, you are acting as an ambassador to it. This means you always need to ensure you're playing by the rules, maintaining a respectful and professional attitude, etc.

1. Follow other forum/website rules.
If you come across a forum that does not allow advertising or soliciting, don't post an advertisement. If it is a forum or site you actually have interest in joining, you can always post a link in your signature or profile if that is allowed. In any case, please make sure you are not breaking any rules.
1a. Don't double post!
If you happen upon a forum or website that already has an RSCR advertisement in at least somewhat plain view (first couple pages of a forum section, etc.), don't post another one.

2. Follow local ordinances/laws and get permission to post things.
If you're going to be posting flyers or anything of the sort, please make sure you are not in violation of any laws or local ordinances and that you have permission to pin something on a bulletin board or telephone pole or anything like that. Local ordinances can be pretty specific and odd so make sure you've read up on yours. If there's a bulletin board at a gas station, make sure you ask the clerk if it is okay for you to put something up.

3. Be aware of copyright laws.
If you're making a video, please make sure you are not using music without permission. The belief that you can use up to 30 seconds of a song under "fair use" is actually a myth. You actually need 2 different types of permissions to use even a few seconds of a song. With that said, there are plenty of resources for royalty free music as well as genuine "fair use" resources. A simple Google search will give you hundreds of places to find free music that you can use. I've even used a few songs for past projects and they were great.
If you use a copyrighted song without permission, I can't accept the video as a valid submission.

4. Everything you do must have a physical record.
This is very important as it ensures you have a fair shot at winning the contest or at least placing 2nd or 3rd. If you post on a forum but do not screenshot it for your records, it will not count. If you put bulletins up but don't take a few pictures of them, they won't count. So on and so forth. Please keep a record of your marketing campaign if you want a chance to win! You can send me links through the website's private messaging system or through Discord (I strongly prefer this method of communication) and I will record it all for the judging period. Please include your in-game character name in the first message.

5. Get permission to use any official RSCR logos
Since this contest is not officially sponsored by RSCR, please go ahead and ask permission to use any of official RSCR logos and things like that. Remember, everything we do inside the game or outside of it reflects on us as a community. So, we're going to extend the professionalism to RSCR as well.

6. Future bylaws.
As of today (September 4, 2019) we have 26 days before the contest begins. If any other rules or guidelines are needed before then, they will appear here.

Judging

I will go over each participant's efforts and results to determine a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place winner. I will be judging on quality of advertisements, streams, and/or videos, how well a participant adheres to the aforementioned rules, how effective the campaigns are from a marketing standpoint, how creative each effort is, and what kind of attention it brings (if possible. I will be following up on the online contributions but obviously there is no way for me to follow up on physical adverts.)

Prizes

For winning 1st place in Sno's Advertising Contest, the Grand Prize shall be a Red Party Hat!

For winning 2nd place in Sno's Advertising Contest, the prize shall be 10 million GP!

For winning 3rd place, in Sno's Advertising Contest, the prize shall be 3 million GP and 5K of each type of rune! Except Soul Runes because the budgetary committee has told me we can't afford those without selling some of my land around Varrock and guys, I am not giving up a location like that.

The winners will be announced shortly after the contest ends on a day to be determined later. They will be announced through a forum post and on Discord.

So there you have it. Let's have some fun with this one, get some new players aboard, and set your sights on a red party hat. Or, you know, a bunch of runes if that's your thing.

Last edited by Snosaven24 (23 Oct 2019 03:18)

Player avatar

Mod Prox Send PM

Stickied.

Feel free to contact me via forum message, Discord, or ingame with any concerns or for help.
RSCRevolution wiki!
Links to tons of guides for RSCR and our custom content!
Rules/Terms of Service

Player avatar

bjgarska Send PM

subscriber

Already started by posting links in the comments on youtube rscrevolution videos to the website - before I even zeeing this thread. Can we expedite the time to starting mid September like the 15th? I don't think it takes a month to prepare. This should be an effort by the whole rscr community. If everyone makes an effort to tell 1 friend, and that person tell a friend that would up the online count, and that's a start.

Also, I took a break from rscr for a while and came to find a lot of the people that played, even high lvl characters are nowhere to be seen.

Solution - I'm sure rscr staff has a mass email list of jailed accounts for inactivity. I say remove the jail for that purpose only and send a generous email listing some of the new features such as clue scrolls, dragon hatchet, slayer skill, etc. and an incentive to come back to check it all out. Perhaps a free gold sub? I've noticed other online games offering similar things.

I've also noticed even items, even underpriced items sit in Auction House for too long. I think it would be a good idea to add an AH to Varrock, Ardougne, and Falador to speed up the economy a little bit, and spread the player base. I hate having to telly to edge, or lumbridge to check out the new listings. I would like to see something implemented to bring more people to varrock like back in old rsclassic days...

- (Barter house) would be cool too. If you're looking for an item you post your offer in the barter house, and how much you're willing to pay, and if a person can fulfill that offer they can exchange that item × whatever amount  (ex: coal×10,000) needed to cash out  the offer in gp - this would of course require a "non refundable buy in" say 10,000gp-25,000gp ontop of the gp listed for barter, or a percentage of the overall listing cost to post a barter listing and the BH listing will last the the same time as AH, maybe ×2, ×3  longer if player chooses to up the buy in. The gp would go towards event, tourneys, drop parties, etc. If a player decides they want to opt out of their barter listing and take the gp back, they forfeit their buy in, this will ensure the person is really looking for that item(s) and is not spamming the BH.

Ex: Hypothetically - If someone is offering to pay 1000 gp per coal x 1000 which is high I know, but I've seen it especially right before double exp. That's 1 mill gp + (buy in × timeframes, 2 days, 4 days, 6 days).

Just my 2 cents.

Pm me in game, let's chat, very helpful.

Player avatar

Mod Britz Send PM

Subscriber

First time seeing this, and both ideas are very interesting. Hope we can help get this really going Sno. And bjgarska your ideas are interesting. big_smile

Pm in game or on discord if I can be of any help

Player avatar

Snosaven24 Send PM

subscriber

bjgarska said:

Already started by posting links in the comments on youtube rscrevolution videos to the website - before I even zeeing this thread. Can we expedite the time to starting mid September like the 15th? I don't think it takes a month to prepare. This should be an effort by the whole rscr community. If everyone makes an effort to tell 1 friend, and that person tell a friend that would up the online count, and that's a start.

I'm out of town for a couple weeks this month or else I'd certainly move the starting date up.

Player avatar

Synbios Send PM

subscriber

THIS is how you show love and support for your server. The pixel huggers out there could certainly learn a thing or two here. Hopefully they will. Props for doing this man, it will make a difference. I'm pretty much broke with no time to play atm but I might have a few mil to throw in the pot. I'll check my bank later and post back if I do.

By the way, I read your mod app and it is by far the best god damned app I've ever seen in my life. It's obvious you're a down to earth genuine guy just trying to improve this great server for all of us. If you have the time for it; I'd like to see you become admin. You would rival or surpass Billy as far as being a positive influence and tremendously helpful asset to the game.

Player avatar

Snosaven24 Send PM

subscriber

Synbios said:

THIS is how you show love and support for your server. The pixel huggers out there could certainly learn a thing or two here. Hopefully they will. Props for doing this man, it will make a difference. I'm pretty much broke with no time to play atm but I might have a few mil to throw in the pot. I'll check my bank later and post back if I do.

By the way, I read your mod app and it is by far the best god damned app I've ever seen in my life. It's obvious you're a down to earth genuine guy just trying to improve this great server for all of us. If you have the time for it; I'd like to see you become admin. You would rival or surpass Billy as far as being a positive influence and tremendously helpful asset to the game.

You are far too kind. Don't worry about pitching in but thank you all the same for the offer.

Player avatar

Mr T also Send PM

subscriber

good shit +1

Player avatar

Mod Prox Send PM

Super thread, would just add one thing if you want to be effective in this competition imo: Advert campaign strategies aren't what they used to be - people have less time, more options, and they don't care about our little world like the people in here do, so you have to target the people who are likely to be the most interested, ideally through word-of-mouth. This will never change no matter the era or medium or product.

"safe" strategies are boring. People ignore anything that looks ordinary. I'm not saying to be weird in your approach just for its own sake and think that "This will get peoples' attention, I'll win this contest, and people will flock to RSCR because of my weird idea" but you've gotta be creative to (re)build interest in people.

Get people interested enough, they will tell their friends.

Casting a wider net is good of course too; I'm not knocking the idea of sending out an email to inactive players. I'm for it and there was one rad promo email we were working on and it got somehow deleted. Long story but I predict it will be reborn and sent out although I can't say when atm. Maybe we'll wait til after this contest in case a player comes up with their own version of it that works for us.

Feel free to contact me via forum message, Discord, or ingame with any concerns or for help.
RSCRevolution wiki!
Links to tons of guides for RSCR and our custom content!
Rules/Terms of Service

Player avatar

bjgarska Send PM

subscriber

Should do it before the contest so it gives the wow effect to newer players to see how many people are logged on. Also it would be an incentive for newer players that were inactive also when they come back to join the advertising campaign as well.

Last edited by bjgarska (13 Sep 2019 23:00)

Pm me in game, let's chat, very helpful.

Player avatar

Oneironaut Send PM

Really awesome idea Sno!

Player avatar

Mod Vinkie Send PM

Banned

Awesome idea!
The release of the new event system also pairs well with it, with 10 days left to submit.
I've been trying my hand at video editing software as well. Hope to see many interesting submissions! big_smile

Player avatar

ArmyLivesOn Send PM

subscriber

I didn't even know this was a thing. I tend to just skip past the stickied posts.

[img]http://i.imgur.com/iaMCOpU.png[/img]