Forager Skill (Skiller Slayer)

Player avatar

humans Send PM

UPDATED:

Been busy w school, wanted to make this suggestion a while ago but forgot. If i made a typo prob bc im sleep deprived.

Problem: based on the current observation of RSCR economy, there seems to be a lot of "junk rares" and high amount of cash/resources in the game. In addition, there is also low amount of big rares i.e. party hats (since a lot were removed from the game). There is an easy way to make skilling and rares worthwhile again. 

I am proposing a Forager Skill.

What are the benefits?

I am proposing a "Forager" Skill to liquidate the items in the game while making it EXTREMELY fun and entertaining for everyone. This skill will help balance the RSCR economy while motivate players to actively play the game instead of edge sitting. This skill will supplement skilling and take it to a whole new level. You can earn exp and rewards while accomplishing numerous tasks in the game. It will create an unforgettable experience for everyone.

How to gain EXP

1. Forager Tasks - there will be "Forager Masters" similar to slayer masters around the map - this is essentially "slayer for skilling". The existing foundation for training is already in the game. So won't be too code extensive for the devs.
a. Master Foragers will assign random tasks for Fishing/Cooking/Wc/fletch/firemaking/crafting/smithing/mining/herblaw etc. basically slayer but for skilling. Consecutive tasks completed without skipping will give you extra exp.
some examples of task:
- Fish 500 swordies
- Cook 500 sharks
- Chop 200 magic logs
- Light 200 logs
- Make 200 potions
- Fletch 200 bows
- Thieve 200x NPCs
- Mine 200x ores
- Smith 200x items
* The higher your forager level the higher the skill items you can forage
* You can block certain tasks like fish 200 shrimps using forager points, but these tasks don't appear with higher forager masters
* You earn 1 forager point per completion of 10 tasks
etc etc etc this will make people try out all the different skills in RSCR - the ultimate skiller's dream
a. Master Foragers at different levels will assign random skilling tasks for you to accomplish. Like slayer but for skilling!
b. Players get 1/3 foraging exp per full skilling exp (similar to 1/3 hp exp per 1 full atk/def/str exp). ex. So if you get 300 exp per fishing, you get 100exp foraging exp.
c. Subs/double sub/foraging in wilderness = increased rates etc
*This will be very fun for skillers since they get to train an additional skill on top of their existing skill*
2. Use a platinum/gold sub on a character - 5K exp (you're welcome admins)
3. Completing clue scrolls - exp awarded based on level of clue scroll - you’re welcome recon wink
4. Getting a wilderness kill - 100 exp toggle on/off
5. Winning an automated event - 1K EXP - more event participation
6. Whatever you can think of to gain exp

(these are just some examples, but not limited to whatever you guys can think of... exp can be adjusted)

How to gain Forager points

Here's the fun part. You can trade in resources like rares, fish, logs, sub cards, etc for forager points!

These points can be used in the "Forager store" for limited edition rares and forager items (help with skilling etc)

Example:

Forager points *you can only trade in these items for points, you can't purchase them*

1. 10 Forager tasks completed in a row - 1 point
1. 1K swordfish - 1 point
2. 1K death runes/blood/nature - 1 pt
3. 1K magic logs - 2 Points
4. 10 rune plates - 2 points
5. 10 r2hs - 1 point
6. 10 rune legs - 1 pt
7. Santa hat - 10 points
8. Party hat (depending on color) = 50-200 points
9. 1 plat card = 5 points
10. 1 gold sub = 2.5 points
11. any trimmed/gold set = 5-20 points
12. Practically any items/rares you can think of - you can adjust the price in the store- there are so many rares in the game and will be more new rares in the future. Think of this as a rare dump to make rares rare again.

This skill will allow the devs to set whatever price they think is fair to balance the economy, but pls be reasonable.

Note: You can only purchase certain items from forager store depending on your forager level. You get certain perks at higher forager levels (haven't thought of what they may be yet).

Forager Store

Items you can purchase:

1. Forager ring (1.1x forager exp) - requires 10 points (exp stackable) - lvl 30 forager required
2. Forager mask (1.1x forager exp) - requires 10 points (exp stackable) - lvl 50 forager required
3. Forager necklace (1.1x forager exp) - requires 10 points (exp stackable) - lvl 60 forager required
4. Forager AFK card. For 20 forager points, you can purchase an AFK card (untradable, only 1 use), to increase your afk timer by 5 minutes. - lvl 65
5. Forager Looting bag (can store 10 extra items,  does not work in wilderness, untradable) - 50 points - lvl 70
6. Forager ring (i) - 1.1x forager exp + 20% to pick up items from the ground (untradable) - 50 points to upgrade forager ring - lvl 80
6.1 Skill Island Access - customized with skilling essentials - lvl 90 Forager required
7. Forager Cape - lvl 99 requirements. 20% to note any skilling item when batching. Stackable, note won't drop on ground.
8. New rares never introduced into the game before - points TBD - lvl requirements TBD
9. Phats (devs can set price they think is fair - since a lot of phats were removed from game, this will help reintroduce them back while removing bunch of garbage rares) - 100-500 points depending on color - lvl 99 forager required *if reintro of rare isn't a viable option, read my next comment below for the alternative*
10. If reintroduction of rare is undesirable, each 1-2 months offer "limited edition rares" with quantity of 3-5 of each so people can spend their forager points on. This will introduce "big rares" into the game to compete with other big rares, thus driving their prices down a little bit. These rares will serve to remove junk rares/ excess items from the game. For example, I traded in 100K magic logs (70M) in for 200 forager points, I can purchase a "lime santa", "lime party hat", "Rainbow Santa Hat", etc. Prices subject to change.
11. Forager store items can be adjusted whenever is applicable to balance economy, if you got any ideas on store item suggest below.

The importance of this skill:

This skill is essentially a gold/item conversion method to help calibrate the economy. Devs have the info on what items are in excess in the game so they can set it as a forager item for people to trade in to get points. Folks can gain exp by accomplishing "forager quests" and other activities, thus making server more active. Have fun!

"Got junk or items you can't sell in AH since it's overloaded? No problem! Trade them in for forager points so you can purchase items from forager store."

- Revolutionize RSC.

Last edited by humans (2 May 2019 19:52)

Player avatar

Tyra Send PM

-1 never bring rares to buy

Player avatar

N E 1 P K Send PM

horiple

Player avatar

F L A T S Send PM

-1 fuck off

Player avatar

humans Send PM

E N K O said:

Go back to being busy with school.

Someone’s gotta pay taxes for welfare to support the lazy haters in this thread

Player avatar

blahhblahh Send PM

subscriberDMM2_Participant

-1 loll

[img=ModernBB BBCode Test]http://www.auplod.com/u/pdaluo610e4.gif[/img]
[img]http://www.auplod.com/u/pdluaoacab1.gif[/img]

Player avatar

ЯJ Send PM

subscriber

Player avatar

sosuke Send PM

subscriberDMM2_Participant

not bad. Only people complaining are animals so, +1 minus the reintroduction of rares. You guys get enough feeding from the staff anyway so let the new ideas flow in.

Player avatar

Bcaa Send PM

subscriber

E N K O said:

humans said:

E N K O said:

Go back to being busy with school.

Someone’s gotta pay taxes for welfare to support the lazy haters in this thread

Students aren't paying taxes.  They generally just benefit from them.

Lmao roasted.

Humans = A downy trying to act like hes not a downy. Prob an insecure basement monkey who tries to act smart online in order to gain "reputation" and feel better about himself.

Player avatar

humans Send PM

sosuke said:

not bad. Only people complaining are animals so, +1 minus the reintroduction of rares. You guys get enough feeding from the staff anyway so let the new ideas flow in.

I was hesitant suggesting reintroduction of phats at first, but given the current prices of phats, many of them over 50M or approaching 50m+ - it's clear the supply is low and some folks will never be able to purchase one despite how much they grind. However, if reintro is not an attractive option, offering new rares (preferably beautiful cosmetics) can easily be a substitute. I was making this post at 2am w/o sleep for over 2 days, so some little details escape. I'll elaborate below.

The current RSCR economy: shit tons of resources like ores/swordfish/logs/junk rares (u know what i mean) - most of these items will never be bought out since the supply > demands. The supply will always be continuously pumped into the game. This makes it impossible for people to sell their items, or they have to offer their resources at such a low price it's hardly profitable for them. This makes skilling an unattractive option. Or, for example, they can spend a ridiculous amount of time to high alch their resources, this will take them more time + introduce more cash into the game -> you end up with a game inflation and driving prices of items up -> you end up with a small pool of super rich people and a large pool of poor people. This aspect is critical since it makes harder for new players to afford rares due to inflation.

For example, I searched the forum recently - a few years back prices of phats were roughly 5-10M, now the cheapest is over 30M and rising. In addition, you also have millions of swordfish, ores, "junk rares" nobody buys in AH. If this continues the game will be stricken with more junk rares and unlimited resources in AH since there will be more holiday events in the foreseeable future.

Ideally I want the Forager Store to include items that are unique and helpful to the players, giving them a sense of accomplishment for their hard work while offering them an entertaining experience. The store should accomplish at least two main tasks:
1. Balance economy (up to devs)
2. Reward players for their dedication + make it fun (forager tasks *updated read above). will be really fun for people to grind and give them something to work for.
3. Idea to consider: instead of reintroduced rare, add 2-3 "limited rares" on a monthly basis where there are only 2 in-game of each. Rotate new items each month.

Last edited by humans (1 May 2019 19:26)

Player avatar

ЯJ Send PM

subscriber

Supply of rares aren't low, it's just a small majority of players hold the majority of rares.

I am all for new skills and content to be added to the game, but they MUST be well thought out and implimented correctly.
This idea however, I will pass on.

Last edited by ЯJ (1 May 2019 15:36)

Player avatar

ReconOne Send PM

humans said:

2. Completing clue scrolls - exp awarded based on level of clue scroll - you’re welcome recon wink

Haha

+1 for new skills

As for the phat reintroduction, just a quick observation for those crying foul:

From the sample given
1k swordfish = 1 point
if they set phat as 500 points and needs 99 foraging to purchase the new phat

thats 500,000 swordfish

If you were to sell that amount at 200gp each (lowest i saw in the market listing was 205, highest around 450) thats 100milGP, which is far more then the most expensive one.

Would have to adjust the XP gained for turnins imo, as doing the fishing option as stated, 10k fish = 100k xp, you could hit level 99 doing that about 130 times (10,000x130=13mil, and 130k fish).  Still wouldnt give enough points to get to 500..but still, probably too easy to reach level 99 with this method/too easy to get xp for the skill.

Clue Help:
Equip/cryptic /Anagram / Hard Dig locations  / Sets[img]https://snag.gy/ikh4g3.jpg[/img] [img]https://snag.gy/Hfrdxi.jpg[/img]

Player avatar

Mod Vinkie Send PM

Banned

Some kind of task system for skilling seems fun, but the proposed idea is very risky on quite a few levels, and I can see it introducing a LOT of new problems.

Similar skills/mechanics (think: invention in RS3) proved to be necessary for some games, but those were often either already going down a very slippery slope, or fundamentally different kinds of games, so I personally wouldn't give this one a +1 (for now). It might be more suitable on a much (MUCH) smaller scale, however.

But interesting thought. Thanks for sharing it! smile

Player avatar

humans Send PM

Need to elaborate on how to gain exp: the "Forager Tasks" will be designed to supplement skilling giving people an incentive to actively play the game and gain rewards/exp. It will be very similar to slayer, but for skilling instead of killing NPC.

1. Forager Tasks - there will be "Forager Masters" similar to slayer masters around the map - this is essentially "slayer for skilling". The existing foundation for training is already in the game. So won't be too code extensive for the devs.
a. Master Foragers will assign random tasks for Fishing/Cooking/Wc/fletch/firemaking/crafting/smithing/mining/herblaw etc. basically slayer but for skilling. Consecutive tasks completed without skipping will give you extra exp.
some examples of task:
- Fish 500 swordies
- Cook 500 sharks
- Chop 200 magic logs
- Light 200 logs
- Make 200 potions
- Fletch 200 bows
- Thieve 200x NPCs
- Mine 200x ores
- Smith 200x items
* You can block certain tasks like fish 200 shrimps using forager points, but these tasks don't appear with higher forager masters
etc etc etc this will make people try out all the different skills in RSCR - the ultimate skiller's dream
a. Master Foragers at different levels will assign random skilling tasks for you to accomplish. Like slayer but for skilling!
b. Players get 1/3 foraging exp per full skilling exp (similar to 1/3 hp exp per 1 full atk/def/str exp). ex. So if you get 300 exp per fishing, you get 100exp foraging exp.
*This will be very fun for skillers since they get to train an additional skill on top of their existing skill*
3. Completing clue scrolls - exp awarded based on level of clue scroll - you’re welcome recon wink

Note: Exp, tasks, points are just rough estimates and ideas subject to change

Last edited by humans (1 May 2019 19:25)

Player avatar

humans Send PM

ReconOne said:

humans said:

2. Completing clue scrolls - exp awarded based on level of clue scroll - you’re welcome recon wink

Haha

+1 for new skills

As for the phat reintroduction, just a quick observation for those crying foul:

From the sample given
1k swordfish = 1 point
if they set phat as 500 points and needs 99 foraging to purchase the new phat

thats 500,000 swordfish

If you were to sell that amount at 200gp each (lowest i saw in the market listing was 205, highest around 450) thats 100milGP, which is far more then the most expensive one.

Would have to adjust the XP gained for turnins imo, as doing the fishing option as stated, 10k fish = 100k xp, you could hit level 99 doing that about 130 times (10,000x130=13mil, and 130k fish).  Still wouldnt give enough points to get to 500..but still, probably too easy to reach level 99 with this method/too easy to get xp for the skill.

Yeah, all the prices are just rough estimates I came up with. The devs can adjust to what they think is fair. The foundation to train forager skill is already in place (read about forager tasks and forager masters I just added above). I decided to change the milestone exp to something more fun - "Forager Tasks" - similar to slayer tasks. Here's how it works:

some examples of task:
- Fish 500 swordies
- Cook 500 sharks
- Chop 200 magic logs
- Light 200 logs
- Make 200 potions
- Fletch 200 bows
- Thieve 200x NPCs
- Mine 200x ores
- Smith 200x items

Note: Exp, tasks, points are just rough estimates and ideas subject to change

There are too many resources in the game and tons of junk rares. This skill will allow people to trade in their items that they can never sell into points so they can potentially purchase "bigger rares" - it's like you have 100 pennies and converting it to a dollar. The server will be able to remove excess resources from the game while making people happy.

Mod Vinkie said:

Some kind of task system for skilling seems fun, but the proposed idea is very risky on quite a few levels, and I can see it introducing a LOT of new problems.

Similar skills/mechanics (think: invention in RS3) proved to be necessary for some games, but those were often either already going down a very slippery slope, or fundamentally different kinds of games, so I personally wouldn't give this one a +1 (for now). It might be more suitable on a much (MUCH) smaller scale, however.

But interesting thought. Thanks for sharing it! smile

I updated how to gain foraging exp above since I wasn't too clear about it. Feel free to read.

Re: concerns about invention skill. The key difference between foraging and invention is that in rs3 invention is used to upgrade armors. Foraging is focused on cosmetics with no stats boost, but not exclusive to special foraging items (e.g. looting bag so people can store extra 3-5 items) to help them skill.

There are millions of runes/swordfish/logs/junk rares etc in the AH. It's a total mess. More resources will continue to be pumped into the economy with nobody to buy them out. More "rares" will be injected into the economy as more holidays pass. The rich will continue to merch bulk and eliminate their competitors. New players will have a difficult time selling their items for a fair price, they'll either be stuck with the items or lose significant profit. The economy will be in a perpetual state of inflation- high cash/high supply of resources/low demand.

This skill will hopefully encourage people to trade in their bulk items and help balance the eco while simultaneously make skilling enjoyable.

Thanks for addressing your concerns. Let me know if you have further questions.

Last edited by humans (1 May 2019 19:32)

Player avatar

Stolt Archer Send PM

subscriber

Humans for beeing the most annoying dude in the game, youll not get anyone to Read your suggestion, eventho the small part i read sounded thoughtru and good.

But sry No One Will support you

Former Pk Prodigy

Player avatar

Synbios Send PM

subscriber

The idea isn't horrible but I'm not sure that I am completely sold on it being a skill worth raising. or being enjoyable.

The biggest problem is calculating the rates for getting rares levels etc. It's so much to try and balance that I highly doubt the dev team would ever want to try. It would be much more difficult than slayer to release and look how long it took to get slayer going from a development POV.

I will absolutely agree that the number of rares is getting ridiculous. One rare or so per holiday is fine but look at last Christmas. We got what....black santa, elf robe top, elf robe bottom, white shield, red shield, green shield, black santa top, black santa bottom... EIGHT rares in one event. What in the fuck? I mean I appreciate the time and effort put into it and all but that's way too many rares to release at once.

Player avatar

humans Send PM

Synbios said:

The idea isn't horrible but I'm not sure that I am completely sold on it being a skill worth raising. or being enjoyable.

The biggest problem is calculating the rates for getting rares levels etc. It's so much to try and balance that I highly doubt the dev team would ever want to try. It would be much more difficult than slayer to release and look how long it took to get slayer going from a development POV.

I will absolutely agree that the number of rares is getting ridiculous. One rare or so per holiday is fine but look at last Christmas. We got what....black santa, elf robe top, elf robe bottom, white shield, red shield, green shield, black santa top, black santa bottom... EIGHT rares in one event. What in the fuck? I mean I appreciate the time and effort put into it and all but that's way too many rares to release at once.

Synbios said:

Re: calculating rares. Set a cooked swordy as baseline of 400gp x 1000 = 400K = 1 point
1 Forager point

Complete 10 forager tasks in a row
1K cooked swordies
2K raw swordies
500 magic logs
10 r2hs
5 rune plates
10 rune legs
20 rune full helm
2k death runes
4k blood runes
2k nature runes
1K rune arrows
Rares - you can pretty much set it at any reasonable price. The system doesn't add money into the game so there's no risk involved. It takes money and resources from the game.
ex. So let's assume red santa is 4m = 10 points
etc 

Forager Store is where the magic happens. Since the server has a surplus of cash and resources, the store takes cash and resources out of the economy. People can buy forager items (outlined above) with their points - these items are untradable. Every update cycle release a new limited edition cosmetic where only 10x amount of quantity in-game. No set price on the item, but charge it at 250 points = 100M. So each cycle there is at least 1B+ gp removed from the game. However, people can trade these rares with each other, since there's no set price it'll be up to the market to determine their value. With fewer supplies in the market, it will be easier for skiller to sell their items at a fair price than having to compete against 1M raw swordies, ores, arrows, etc in the market. This also helps the people who have tons of skiller items but unable to sell due to high volume.

Whether or not the skill is fun is subjective. The foundation for forager is already there. Don't need to add new npcs, etc just delegate tasks like slayer, but for skilling. People can earn money skilling and points for completing x amount of tasks.

The game will ultimately head toward a peak inflation since rsclassic is a niche market. People mostly play for nostalgia. There will be holiday events where new items will be introduced and market will be flooded with "junk" rares. There will be people who will grind hard to make money and consequently inject more resources and cash in the game than consumption. This will make it difficult for new players to skill and make money. Usually when the eco is out of wack, ppl start suggesting economy restart. It has happened in many servers and people end up quitting. Eco restart is a stupid idea since it disregards the hard work of the players, but it has happened in numerous servers due to mismanagement. I'm not saying the eco of RSCR is in any imminent danger, but objectively speaking currently there are millions of resources in AH, tons of junk rares as you mentioned, and prices of phats have increased dramatically. The purpose of this skill is to solve those problems as a prophylactic measure while offering dynamic rewards and skilling excitement for ppl who enjoy skilling in a task-based format.

Player avatar

Pepsi Send PM

modsubscriber

Synbios said:

These are not and were not intended to be rares.  They were meant to be items that even the newest of player was able to get.  Same with this past week's Easter items.

Sadly, some players assume things are rares, and inflate the prices so that players who are not rich still can not afford them

Player avatar

Jauroo Send PM

N E 1 P K said:

horiple