On Economy: Scarcity, Playerbase and the Effects of a Single World

Player avatar

Mydriasis Send PM

Prices in the auction house are incredibly high. Even outside the auction house, basic supplies are incredibly expensive. In this work, I will outline what I believe to be the three main causes to the high prices: scarcity of supplies due to shop limits and difficulty in collection, the size of the playerbase, and the fact that there is one gameplay world. I will attempt to seek a resolution.

It should be noted by the reader that this work is a step toward an open discourse on this subject. I claim no final word on this topic: may this post be a forum for the discussion of the future of the economy, and for metrics by which we can analyze carefully steps to be taken to improve it.

Scarcity of Materials

This topic must be sectioned out, since there are different kinds of materials in game. I believe that there is a problem of scarcity with some of these in particular, yet not others, or at least not to the same degree.
As I see it, there are four types:

• Those items which are purchased from shops
  • Those items which are dropped by monsters
  • Those items which are collected from the ground
  • Those items which must be gathered through some skill

Shop Items

These I find a major issue with. The evidence is in the current market values. Take, for example, vials, which are 1000 each in the marketplace. Now, compare this to the shop price of 2gp ea. I think it will be agreeable to all that the price of vials on the market at its current state is absurd. Further, take fire runes, which range from 60-150 in the marketplace. Now, compare this to the shop price of 6-8, or 28-30 gp, depending on the source.

There are multiple examples like this. The pricing of these items has to do with the lack of supply in the face of greater demand. This effect is much more obvious with the vials, and less so with the fire runes, but the reasoning lies the same with both: There is not nearly enough supply to meet the current market demand. We must state why: The shops which provide these items do not provide enough supply. This is a major issue, especially in the case of vials. Jatix's shop is the viable option, where unless a player has 60 agility, and even if so, the run takes a large amount of time. Further, his shop stocks only 50 vials at a time, and while the regeneration is fairly quick, it only allows for perhaps two immediately filled inventories for a quick player. The same can be said for eye of newt.

So why are the prices on fire runes so much lower? Well considering the prices of fire runes in shops, this price is still high. (Let it be known that I am not implying that the market price should match the npc price -- not at all, but something's got to give.) The price of fire runes is lower because there are multiple suppliers which sell in much higher numbers. Betty of Port Sarim sells 300 at a time, Aubury and the Magic Guild sell 50 at a time, and the Mage Arena sells 1,000 at a time. Now I want to point out that for that last store, the prices are much higher -- 28 gold per rune -- however what is interesting is that the store stock has been boosted from 100 in the original RSC to 1,000 in RSCRevolution. This is a good move because it decreases the scarcity of the runes, given a risk on the part of the player. We must not discount the effect this has on prices.

Now the playerbase does take advantage of these shops: As such, I do not believe that the size of the playerbase is contributing to these issues. Competition to buy out runes, vials, and other shopped materials is high. For these items, I think two factors play into it, one of which is repairable and the other which is not:
First, the limits to store stock, and second, there is only one server to play on.

Allow me to elaborate.

Since there is such limited store stock, the number of items coming into the game is limited to two factors. The first is the regeneration rate of store-stocked items. The other is the competition for store stock at any given time.
Since the stores stock a limited supply, only so many items of a given kind can enter the game. When the demand for an item exceeds the very limits of the game, overpricing occurs.
Not only this, but there is not constant competition to bring items into the game. If nobody is running vials, there are no vials, and thus the prices for vials begin to rise. Even when there is competition for store stock, only so many items can come into the game due to shop limitations!

Now I believe that this ties directly into the problem of having only one server. Unfortunately, we cannot have another one; not only would it be expensive to maintain and difficult to bring together, but with the size of the playerbase it may not be worthwhile. This is important:
Having only one server means that people cannot buy out store stock on multiple worlds, which means that the scarcity of store stock is limited even further. As such, it may be necessary to compensate for this by increasing the store stock to match what would be available across multiple worlds at once, while maintaining caution as to undercut the demand of the playerbase. Having less than met demand allows for shop buyouts to still have value to a player who wants to merch shops. I find this to be a reasonable solution to this first problem.

More coming soon!

Player avatar

Uncle Send PM

Great post.

From what ive seen, its not so much the supply and demand. Its the perceived supply and demand, lots of people have lots of these items (runes and vials). Mostly everyone just wants top price for them, or no deal. Eventually the buyer has to give in to the price, if they dont want to go buy or farm these items. Which then the person who is willing to go sit at the shop and buy constantly will continue to raise their price, and other people on the market will try to compete.

The issue is.. how do we fix it, without ruining someones way of making money? We try to weigh all options, and in these cases i thinks usually.

A. People have to just spend some time at the shops, although boring, its gotta be done.

B. Make it easier and remove another $$$ maker in game for some people.

In my opinion herbs use to be a very good way to earn gp in game.. since last halloween and a few events after, the market was flooded with high level herbs. We unintentionally destroyed that market.

Please join us on Discord to keep in touch and quicker support.

https://discord.gg/cpx6Y44

Player avatar

Badboy666 Send PM

subscriber

Leave it how it is, work for your shit, or pay for it. If price is too high for you, go farm em. Nothing to do.

Rest in peace Eric. You will Always remembered. May you guard Wilderness forever
-Baphomet, Smokablunt, BluntToker, Annabelle and many more.

Player avatar

Mydriasis Send PM

Mod Uncle said:

Great post.

From what ive seen, its not so much the supply and demand. Its the perceived supply and demand, lots of people have lots of these items (runes and vials). Mostly everyone just wants top price for them, or no deal. Eventually the buyer has to give in to the price, if they dont want to go buy or farm these items. Which then the person who is willing to go sit at the shop and buy constantly will continue to raise their price, and other people on the market will try to compete.

The issue is.. how do we fix it, without ruining someones way of making money? We try to weigh all options, and in these cases i thinks usually.

A. People have to just spend some time at the shops, although boring, its gotta be done.

B. Make it easier and remove another $$$ maker in game for some people.

In my opinion herbs use to be a very good way to earn gp in game.. since last halloween and a few events after, the market was flooded with high level herbs. We unintentionally destroyed that market.

Any changes made need to be very carefully balanced. I spend a lot of time in shops buying out vials, buying out runes, etc. It's great cash. I'm fully willing to farm these shops until I get the levels for a better money maker.

The biggest issue I find with it, though, is the available shop supply. Bringing that up would certainly drop the average market price of an item, but not to the point where it fails to make money to buy out shops. Now, making this change will have to be done carefully. Take vials: having an essentially limitless amount of vials available in the shop will cause them to be worthless, but a slight change to the store stock -- from 50 to 100, for example -- would help a lot. It would mean more product per time spent farming, but only by a small margin.

Player avatar

runeknight95 Send PM

subscriber

You seem to lack the will to pay for someones time and base prices on that, standing at a shop buying fire runes for 4gp each is not fun and most people farm dragons fire giants etc to get them fairly easily. The runes just get burned for pking purposes so prices stay high/decent (fires and airs were fetching 70gp+ a few months back before loot buff)

Prices are incredibly low on all items required to skill.
In fact you can make money on a few through high alchemy bows, smithing etc and get lvl 99 in the process.
Armour and weapons are at high alchemy value
Food for pking is so low, 200gp for sharks and swordies  on the regular, how these fishers feeding their families? like dayumm
Vial prices have always caught us 1-2k per when super sets were near 20k, vials can easily be grabbed off AH for 400-800gp each any given day
you're paying for someone elses time to walk back and forth

I disagree with this thread and your view point of it
great post? no its really terrible.

Last edited by runeknight95 (15 Oct 2017 05:52)

Check Out my "Quality of life" improvement suggestion thread and vote +1 ty!---->
http://www.rscrevolution.com/viewtopic.php?id=4338
Check out my Auction house improvement suggestion thread http://www.rscrevolution.com/viewtopic.php?id=8292
Moo Moo Moo MOO MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Player avatar

KizL Send PM

betasubscriber

Make a 2nd world. That is all king KizL has to say.

~K!zL

IGN: Alerion, No Mercy, Attila and KizL
[img]http://i.imgur.com/fkgmebI.png[/img]
UP and Subscribe to RSCRevolution on Reddit!
----> RSCRevolution's Reddit ----> RSCRevolution Facebook

Player avatar

jibbz Send PM

subscriber

yeah nice look on it I agree an fortunately vials are droping as well as eyes of newt when I first started playing vials an eye of newt went for 900 ea all day soon as you posted them in ah now you will be lucky to get 700 ea on eye of newt an 700-800 for vials I see them posted lower an lower everyday so that problem is fixing its self atm an I think that's due to so many people looking for quick buck an less people buying them vs doing them there selves due to such high herb an seconds cost which is forcing players to farm there own supplies vs buying if they want to make some or any profit at all cause herbs cost as much as the final pot an seconds cost as much as the final product now as well so the economy is what it is id just leave it the way it is because its working not great but well enough that its not crashing or complete bs + if you pay attention an your not in a rush you will find the price you are looking for it just takes some time an patients to find the correct price to your likeing but not everyone post ridiculous prices you just need to buy before the 20 merchants on the server buy an sell to each other 20 times as they each rise price every time it touches another merchants hand then you go to buy an its outrageously inflated that's my belief as why the market is so high

Last edited by jibbz (26 Oct 2017 22:40)

Player avatar

chr0nic Send PM

It is perfect the way it is bud capitalism

Player avatar

Falendar Send PM

except you have a very specific few people keeping the vendors empty and that forces the player to pay a ridiculous markup to get the items. vials at 700-1000 each is insane.