Helping out newbies

Player avatar

AR Send PM

subscriber

Sorry been busy so not been online much.

Some interesting points.. I guess the trick is to find the balance between helping them get hooked but not spoiling the experience.

I've been talking to a guy on YouTube after mentioning rscr on a pk vid, soon as I said I'd hook him up with a r2h he said he was registering.

IGN - x Alex x & Pk Alex

Player avatar

Webstien Send PM

subscriber

KizL said:

Big load said:

Don't help out any new players. If you do, then don't give them too much.
It will ruin the new player experience if you give some random noob full rune at level 20,

Anyone I know IRL or anyone I've helped only stayed because I gave them 50k, r2h and food.

or if they were an OG player from back in the day they don't wanna get shit and just want them 99s ASAP. So then I give them full rune. It really matters on the player..

~K!zL

I agree

Last thing I wanted to do was worry about farming straight out of the gate. I Just wanted to get some levels in first. Luckily I met some guys that helped me get started in that department.

Definitely depends on the person. If they have played RSC before then giving them some rune is probably the way to go. If they are a first timer then tossing them some low level gear, few coins, and a splash of food is probably the best bet.

Player avatar

Datsyuk Send PM

subscriber

I really liked earning all my own stuff. Being a noob and having to mine and start from scratch was really fun. But ya I guess it depends on the player.

[img]http://s2.postimg.org/stnxil1ll/Datsyuk.jpg[/img]

Speed Racer - Lvl 3 Event Extraordinar

Player avatar

Tidus Send PM

subscriber

We should run more ads and be tougher on trolls.

Player avatar

kenshin666 Send PM

subscriberDMM2_Participant

i jus joined can i has obby whip ill pay u back promise

Player avatar

Tobe Send PM

Au2er said:

Noosh said:

i always help out new players when i can. and when i first joined this server a mod and some other people gave me probably around 100k just to start out. its not much but to a brand new player it helps a lot. i just gave away some stuff today to some people that were asking also. instead of sitting there at edge with a 100m+ bank telling someone to "go work for it" go get something out of the bank you dont need or something you can spare to a new player and give them a hand. after all these huge bank stashes and hat sets and everything would mean more if more people played on the server. and by helping out someone with just an r2h or maybe 50k or something could easily get a new player to stick around

+1

Player avatar

Nerdy Send PM

subscriber

n0m said:

The simple quest system was introduced to help them get started, and so they have something to do from the moment they arrive. I think it should just be continued and developed further to allow more interesting quests.

As someone who has recently returned - I'm really enjoying the quest system!

Player avatar

GLeU Send PM

subscriber

fuck helping new people. nobody helped me! you want it, you earn it!

Player avatar

fmlbruh Send PM

subscriber

The quest system would be fun for a completely new to rsc guy. As for me i started and ironman just to fuck around and absolutely hated it. But i hate all quests and skilling lol. Didnt play the ol ironman too long before i went straight back to playin my main and pures. Unless your on an ironman the quest system is kind of pointless because you could obtain all the items you earn from it in literally a tenth of the time it takes to run around the map doing those quests. And even still. If you just took that time and went and did thieving instead youd wind up matching the value of those quests in the same amount of time. And have a decent thieving level to continue making cash.

Maybe you could implement a system where after an account reaches 2 hrs of game time they get a pop up asking if theyd like to give a review. Kind of a 1-5stars rating and a box that allows them to type how they feel about the game so far if they have any suggestions or whatever as well.

And all accounts with over 2 hrs of gameplay already could recieve this same pop up, with a page that shows the ratings and player reviews. Could be the deciding factor of if a guy signs up after viewing the main site. Have a screening period before adding to that page to keep from trolls posting bs just to ruin the rating

Last edited by fmlbruh (10 Apr 2017 00:49)

Player avatar

aaab Send PM

subscriber

I'm new and someone gave me a dragon ammulet. I didn't ask for it or anything but thanks to who ever gave it. I'm not far off from obtaining full rune having just done dragon slayer. Personally I find it a bit unfair that all these new people getting full rune and me having to work my ass off. But then I feel better having earned it myself,maybe not the case for others who am I to judge.  But hoping to stick around. Peace.

Player avatar

Jeddy Send PM

I made this account a couple years back but only started playing today. Brought my girlfriend along as well and we play together with the Team system (which is amazing by the way!) We're starting from scratch and working our way up, the chickens inside lumbridge castle and those WoW-esque miniquests that have us doing stuff is nice too and great for xp!

I should also mention that I love how the game works on Android phones. Great for playing at the airport during those four hour layovers!

Last edited by Jeddy (19 May 2017 23:48)

Player avatar

315 Send PM

subscriber

fmlbruh said:

Maybe you could implement a system where after an account reaches 2 hrs of game time they get a pop up asking if theyd like to give a review. Kind of a 1-5stars rating and a box that allows them to type how they feel about the game so far if they have any suggestions or whatever as well.

It's fucking RSC, not some shit play store app. Obviously it's had some sort of good review for the last 17 years otherwise there wouldn't be multiple private servers as well as the original game still running.

edit: Also, mobile games that literally have pop-up "rate" bubbles are ignorant as hell. Why would anybody actually ask for that?

edit 2: I didn't actually say ignorant.

R.E.T.A.R.D.E.D

Last edited by 315 (20 May 2017 01:46)

Player avatar

KizL Send PM

betasubscriber

315 said:

fmlbruh said:

It's fucking RSC, not some shit play store app. Obviously it's had some sort of good review for the last 17 years otherwise there wouldn't be multiple private servers as well as the original game still running.

edit: Also, mobile games that literally have pop-up "rate" bubbles are ignorant as hell. Why would anybody actually ask for that?

R.E.T.A.R.D.E.D

You're the tard. That's an awesome idea for advertising. I've actually been talking about this with the team for awhile now. So eat it kid.

~K!zL

Last edited by KizL (20 May 2017 07:35)

IGN: Alerion, No Mercy, Attila and KizL
[img]http://i.imgur.com/fkgmebI.png[/img]
UP and Subscribe to RSCRevolution on Reddit!
----> RSCRevolution's Reddit ----> RSCRevolution Facebook

Player avatar

Billy Send PM

Former Admin

Billy said:

So here is what I sort of consider the 'idea' starter package. This is what I like to give new unique players who haven't been assisted.
-2-handed swords iron thru addy (the absense of the r2h is KEY to getting them hooked; they see the goal laid out in front of them without being gifted it)
-black armor set, maybe just iron armor set if they're going pure or something (after trying to talk them out of making their first char pure)
-strength amulet
-charged dstone amulet, maybe even two of these to be honest. teleports are key and these ammies are not exactly rare on here.
-50x noted trout
-some low amount of gp just to make general stores a non-issue
-regular cape of their desired color
-offer one random tip, then ask if they have any questions

This is still the care package my mods give out. I think it's just right.

[img]https://i.imgur.com/3xbQmDo.gif[/img]Read the rules: Automated play is a bannable offense![img]https://i.imgur.com/HtElPYg.gif[/img]
lol Billy Mays' Quest Reviews lol

Player avatar

315 Send PM

subscriber

KizL said:

315 said:

fmlbruh said:

R.E.T.A.R.D.E.D

You're the tard. That's an awesome idea for advertising. I've actually been talking about this with the team for awhile now. So eat it kid.

~K!zL

Having pop ups in-game while already playing isn't advertising. Obviously they're already playing the game if some rate bubble is popping up after two hours.

I personally think it would just be annoying. Even being a long time RSC player, I probably would have shied away from the server if I had pop ups asking me to rate it when I can't even wield an addy 2H yet.

Player avatar

Saradomin72 Send PM

subscriber

Dont give gp, well 10-15k is ok but they wont really know what to buy atm, give the like 100-200 cooked tuna or lobsters, full iron, iron 2-Hander and Dstone ammy, then give them advice on how to make gp, Chaos druids is a good money maker at lower lvls, tell them to sell the Unid herbs 10 stacks for 1-2k ea depending on the buyer, after 2 invs (5 min per inv around) they can alrwady afford a R2H and would of gained a few lvls but make sure to tell them to train on chickens till about 40-40-40 first

Last edited by Saradomin72 (20 May 2017 16:04)

Player avatar

KizL Send PM

betasubscriber

315 said:

KizL said:

315 said:

R.E.T.A.R.D.E.D

~K!zL

Having pop ups in-game while already playing isn't advertising. Obviously they're already playing the game if some rate bubble is popping up after two hours.

I personally think it would just be annoying. Even being a long time RSC player, I probably would have shied away from the server if I had pop ups asking me to rate it when I can't even wield an addy 2H yet.

rating it on google play does help with advertising.
Obviously if you have sub's etc it wouldn't pop up and after you've already rated it it wouldn't do it again.

Plus you could make it do it on the home screen.

Read this http://www.rscrevolution.com/viewtopic.php?id=11865

~K!zL

IGN: Alerion, No Mercy, Attila and KizL
[img]http://i.imgur.com/fkgmebI.png[/img]
UP and Subscribe to RSCRevolution on Reddit!
----> RSCRevolution's Reddit ----> RSCRevolution Facebook